Use Widgets on Samsung Galaxy S4
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Lynn, Maureen D., Jerry Rivers and 2 others
This is part of the Howiki on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the main Howiki on how to USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 for a full list of S4 Howikis Articles
Widgets can be found on the Home screen, and they show you what they do. Widgets are applications that allow you to customize your phone to suit your needs by using the Home screen as the "quick access" page for all the functions you see as important.
Edit Difference between widgets and applications icons
A first-time Android user may have a hard time distinguishing a widget from an application icon on the Home screen. The main difference that lies between these two is that widgets display all the information on the Home screen without opening a different window, while app icons are merely shortcuts to the actual applications. A clock widget, when opened, will display the time and other options, but it will remain in the Home screen, while an application shortcut icon for the clock app will open the app itself in a separate window.
Edit Types of widgets
- 1Information Widgets - These are the type of widgets that provide the user with information that is important and critical to him.These include weather widgets, clock widgets, calendar widgets and other widgets that update you on an event or activity that may require tracking information.2Collection Widgets - These are the types of widgets that display collections of items such as new stories from the news app, emails from the email app, or pictures from the gallery app.Collection widgets focuses on two functions: Browsing the collection and opening an element from the collection for viewing and use.3Control Widgets - These are the type of widgets that allow the user control over the phone without going to the application or settings.A music widget will allow you to control the Music Player without opening it. Connection widgets allow you to manage your radio connections without going to the settings.4Hybrid Widgets - These are the type of widgets that have two or more of the characteristics of the ones listed above.
Edit Add widgets to Samsung Galaxy S4
- 1Go to your Home menu.2Tap on Apps > Widgets.3You will be shown the available widgets.You can navigate through the widgets by scrolling left or right.4
Edit Add widgets to Samsung Galaxy S4 Lock Screen
S4 allows use of widgets, even on the lock screen. To do it:
- 1Pull down the Notifications drawer and tap on "Settings" (gear icon), located on the upper-right portion of the screen.2In settings, tap on "My Device".3In the "My Device" tab, tap on "Lock Screen".4Tap on the check box next to the "Multiple Widgets" option to add widgets to your lock screen.5Lock your screen by pressing the Power button once.6Bring up your screen by pressing the Power button again.7You are now on the lock screen, where you can tap on a plus tile to add a widget to it.8Navigate through each lock screen by doing a swiping gesture.9
EditHow to move widgets from one page to another and to the Home screen
- 1In Standby mode (on the Home screen) tap the "Apps" button2Click "Widgets" at the top right hand corner of your screen, and there will be a popup menu of all your available widgets.3Tap the widget that you choose to move, and hold it until it detaches, and it will now take you to your Home screen.4Move it around to select where you want that particular widget to be.5
Edit Is it possible to add a Search box in the widget page?
It is possible to add a Google search page on the widget page. To do this:
- 1Go to your Home screen.You can go to your Home screen by tapping on the Home key once or tapping on the Back key a few times.2Tap on the Apps icon on the lower-right part of your Home screen.You will be taken to the Apps list.3Tap on the Widgets tab.From the App list view, change the view into widget view by tapping on the Widgets tab on the upper-right part of your phone's screen.4Tap on the Menu key.The Menu key is located at the lower-right part of your phone. Tap on it once to view three options: Play Store, Search and Uninstall.5Tap on Search.Since you want to add a search box in the widget page, and a search box will now appear at the upper part of your screen.6Start searching.You can input some keywords to search for available widgets on the widget page. The more characters you put on the search box, the more refined the results of the search will be.7
EditHow to hide and delete widgets on the Galaxy S4
If you want to hide and delete a widget:
- 1Scroll on the Home screen to any spot free of apps icons, so that you do not open them accidentally.2Tap "Apps and Widgets".You will find it about halfway down on the Home screen.3Tap the "Widgets" tab at the top right of your screen.4To delete a widget, press and hold it until it becomes larger.5Now, note that there is a bright yellow framing on the widget if it can be re-sized.Drag the widget to the "Remove" icon, which looks like a trash can.6Take your finger off, and you have removed the widget from your Home screen.7The widget is now removed.This procedure will not permanently delete your widget. However, it is no longer on the Home screen from where it was located. The widget is hidden, and can be easily retrieved if you ever want it back on the Home page.
EditHow to permanently delete widgets on the Samsung Galaxy S4
If you need more space or memory on your Galaxy S4, you can uninstall an application. If you want to permanently delete a widget on your Galaxy S4, or any Android mobile device, you must remove its software program. Keep in mind that once the widget is permanently removed, the only way to retrieve it will be to re-install it. This is a simple procedure, however. Just follow the instructions below.
- 1Press on the Home button once to get to the Home page.You can also repeatedly tap on the Back button to get to Home.2Once you are on Home, tap on the Menu key (lower-left soft key) to be able to see available options on the Home menu.3From the Home menu, scroll down to "Settings" and tap it.4Tap on the "More" tabs.5Tap "Applications Manager".6Select and tap the application you desire to permanently delete.7Tap "Uninstall" on the menu.8Tap "OK".9You have now uninstalled the widget.
Another alternative way of un-installing your widget is by doing the procedures below:
- 1Press on the Home button once to get to the Home button.You can also repeatedly tap on the Back button to get to Home.2From Home, tap on the Applications icon on the lower-right part of the Favorites tab.3On the application list, tap on the "Widgets" tab on the upper-right part of your screen.4On Widgets, tap on the Menu button (lower-left soft key) to see available options.5From the list of options, tap on "Uninstall".6Widgets that can be deleted will now have a "red minus" sign on the upper right part of their icons.Tap on that sign to remove the widget from your device.7You are done with deleting widgets.8Take note:Some widgets cannot be deleted. These widgets are part of your phone's "from the box" package.
EditHow to re-size a widget
Many widgets are re-sizable. Why do this? You may want a widget that is easier to find, and you want it to be easily spotted for quicker access among myriad widgets on your Home screen. The solution is to make it bigger to stand out “in the crowd”. Follow these easy instructions to make a widget bigger or smaller.
- 1Press the widget you want to re-size and hold it.Now, you will see that there is a bright yellow frame around the widget if it can be re-sized.2Just drag your finger on the edges of the widget to change its dimensions.3Once it is the desired width and length, take your finger off the widget.4You are in edit mode with this action, so tap any open space on your screen now to exit this mode.
The above procedures will empower you to shape the look and use of your Samsung Galaxy S4 screen easily.
EditQuestions and Answers
I don't have an Android Market on my device?
Play Store is the new Android Market. Google has changed the name of Market to Play Store. To see the Play Store, you need to open your application list by tapping on the Application button on the Favorites tab from your Home screen.
On the Samsung Galaxy S4 as well as with the new update the Android Market will no longer be on the device. The new application is called Google Playstore which will have all of your applications just as the old Android Market provided on your device.
Any idea why all the widgets are not available on the lock screen?
Any idea why all the widgets are not available on the lock screen? Seems pretty obscure to me.
There is no explanation to why the companies have not allowed widgets to become useful on the lock screen but this obviously is a way to keep your applications and information safe. If your widgets are placed on your lock screen then the lock screen will serve no purpose in protecting your devices information.
How do you reread a note you added in the calendar widget last week?
I added a regular note to one day in the calendar last week. i want to reread the note i wrote last week. i don't know how to open it to read the note again. please help
You need to follow these steps to open your note -
1. Open Calendar
2. Go to the date on which you added the note in the calendar.
3. You will find your note there.
Fitting both calendar and weather widgets on start screen?
Hi, I would like to find widgets for calendar and weather that can be displayed in a small size, making them both fit on the same screen while not taking much space altogether.
Howikis QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 2,828 times.