Turn On and Off the Samsung Galaxy S4
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Charmed, Melissa Meyer, Reema and 3 others
======This is part of the Howikis on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. The link to the mother Howikis is here - USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4======
Before you even start using your Samsung Galaxy S4, you'll need to turn it on. The first time you boot your device, you'll have to follow Samsung's simple on-screen instructions to ensure that it's properly set up. To turn your phone on and off in the future, follow the simple guide below:
Edit Turning On Your Samsung Galaxy S4
- 1Make sure that your battery has enough power to be able to boot up your phone.If you're unsure about its current charge level, plug your phone into its power adapter before following the next steps.2Turn your phone on by pressing and holding the power button for a few seconds until the Samsung logo appears.3
Edit Turning Off Your Samsung Galaxy S4
- 1Press and hold the power button until you see the device options menu.2
Edit How to turn off your Galaxy S4 without using the power button
If you cannot use your Power button because it is defective, or you just want to prolong its usable life by not using it, you can follow the steps below to turn your Samsung Galaxy S4 off without using the power button.
- 1Go to your Home menu by pressing on the home button, located on the lower-middle part of your phone.2From the Home menu, tap on the "Applications" icon on the lower-right part of your phone's screen.3You will now be taken to the application list.Search for the Play Store and tap on the application's icon to open it.4From Play Store, tap on the "Search" button and search for the key word "Button Savior".5Download and install the application.6You can also download Button Savior on the web if you cannot download it via the Play Store.7After installation, open Button Savior.It may require you to enable debugging mode. Tap on "Yes" to go to your phone's settings where you can enable USB debugging.8After enabling Debugging Mode, open Button Savior and tap "Kill/Start Button Savior Service".9A small arrow on the right part of the screen will pop up.Tap on it to convert it into icons.1011Tap on the "Power off" option to turn off your device.12You have successfully turned off your S4 without using its power button.
- A comprehensive tutorial on how to use Effectively Use Samsung Galaxy S4 Even With Broken Keys (Home, Menu, Back, Volume Up, Volume Down and Power Key) is also available.
Edit How to turn your Galaxy S4 on without using the power button
If you can't turn your phone on because its power button is broken, don't worry -- follow the steps below!
- 1Press and hold the volume button for few seconds when your phone is off.2While doing the first step, connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.3Wait for your phone to boot to Download mode.4After booting to Download mode, press up on the volume rocker to cancel the operation.5Upon cancellation, your phone will reboot and turn on.6
Edit Tips, Tricks and Warnings
- If, for some reason, your phone freezes and you are not able to turn it off, you can remove the battery to turn it off. Do not frequently do this though, as it may corrupt some data on your phone.
- Make sure that you have enough battery juice to boot up your phone. If you are not able to turn it on, charge it for an hour before attempting again.
EditQuestions and Answers
Turning on the phone by pressing and holding on the power button doesn't work in my case?
The battery is drained
There are many reasons why your Samsung Galaxy S4 won't turn on using the power button. Read through the possible reasons and their fixes below.
- When your Samsung Galaxy S4's battery is totally drained, your phone will shut down to prevent data loss and you cannot turn it back on until it's at an acceptable amount of charge. If this is the case, charge your phone for a few minutes before attempting to turn it on. When you connect the charger to your device, your screen should light up and show a battery icon. If the phone remains unresponsive, check the battery, the charger or the phone itself to determine which is causing the issue. The next steps will discuss how to check which of these three items is defective.
- If your phone will not turn on and charging your phone doesn't elicit a response, there is a chance that the battery is defective. Use a different charger to make sure the phone still charges. If the phone charges with the new charger, the battery is good and the charger is defective. If there is still no response when a working charger is connected, try to use a working battery and try again. If the phone still does not turn on or charge, then the problem is with your battery. Batteries are disposable and cannot be repaired in any way. If your battery is defective, dispose of it properly and buy a new battery for your phone. If you have trouble removing the battery from your phone, then these Howikis articles Remove Back Cover of Samsung S4 and Install SIM Card and Battery on Samsung Galaxy S4 will be a big help for you.
- If the battery is working and charging, then your Power button may be defective. We have a work-around for this.
- You can press and hold the volume down button while connecting your Galaxy S4 to the computer and it will boot into Download mode. Press the volume up button to get your phone out of Download Mode and your phone will restart normally. You can click #How to turn your Galaxy S4 on without using the power button to automatically go to the section of this article detailing how to turn on your Galaxy S4 without using the power button.
- When your Power button is defective, you may have problems completing other phone functions. You may check the Howikis article on Effectively Use Samsung Galaxy S4 Even With Broken Keys (Home, Menu, Back, Volume Up, Volume Down and Power Key)
- The two mentioned posts above are only a workaround, so you can still use your phone even if the power button is not working. The best thing to do in this case, however, is to have the broken buttons repaired by a qualified technician. If you're still under warranty, repairs like these will be covered for free.
- If your phone won't turn on and does not respond while being charged, and you have confirmed that the battery and the charger are working, then there may be a problem with your Samsung Galaxy S4 itself. There is no easy workaround for this. We recommend you bring your device to an authorized service center. Again, defects in the device itself will be covered under the warranty free of charge.
If your battery is completely drained, you'll need to charge it. Your phone comes with a USB cable and an AC adapter. There are two possible ways to charge your phone. You can connect the phone to your computer using the USB cable, or you can plug the included AC adapter into the wall.
See more questions like this: My email notification sound is not working. Phone and messages work, but not the email
My phone won't reboot without the power button. What can I do?
My phone's power button is broken, and it won't turn on when I follow the steps given (connect phone to USB cable.. etc). When I try to reboot it, it goes to factory mode, and words appear in Japanese. I do not know how to fix this problem. Please help!
It seems that you restored your device to factory settings. Your phone may have a Korean firmware as evidenced by the Korean characters on start up. (Samsung is a Korean company, by the way.) You can change that by tapping on the button below the Android icon when your device starts. If your phone boots up and still isn't using English as the default language, follow these steps:
- Go to your Home screen by tapping on the back key for a few times or by pressing the home key once.
- Once you are on your Home screen, pull down the notification bar by doing a swiping gesture from the top of the screen to the bottom.
- On the notification bar, tap on the Settings icon (gear icon) located on the upper right part of your screen.
- On your phone's Settings, tap on the third tab; this is the Control tab.
- Once you are on the third tab, tap the first option that has the letter "A" icon on it. This is the Language and input option.
- Once you are on the Language and input option, tap on the first option; this is the change language option.
- From the change language page, scroll down until you see English.
- You have successfully changed your device's language.
Also, since you mentioned a problem about your power button. You can use Button Savior as an alternative for your broken Power key. Here's an article on how to Effectively Use Samsung Galaxy S4 Even With Broken Keys (Home, Menu, Back, Volume Up, Volume Down and Power Key).
See more questions like this: I did your steps if my power button doesn't work and my phone won't turn on. what do i do
I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S4. How do I enter my SIM card's pin code?
I do not know how to enter the pin code?
Take note: different SIM card providers have different default pin codes. Some use 1234, while others use 0000. The best way to determine which pin is used with your SIM is to look at the back of the card itself. It should show the default pin code for your phone. If the SIM card does not show it, try 1234 first and check if it is correct. Your phone will warn you about the remaining number of attempts before your phone locks itself for security reasons. If it is more than one, try the pin 0000. If neither pin works, call your cellular service provider to get the correct code.
See more questions like this: My s4 is dead, and it wont charge
How can I turn the phone on without the power button?
It is not working for me... I am doing the steps like it says but it still won't work."
If your Galaxy S4 is still having troubles turning on even after you follow our step-by-step guide, you will need to take it in for repairs.
See more questions like this: My s4 is turning off by it self i was wondering if its the power button
See more questions like this: How to turn on S4 when its off without power button
How can I turn the phone off without using the button?
How can I turn my phone off without using the actual power button?
If you want to switch off your device without using the actual power button, you can make use of the application called Button Savior which can be downloaded from the Google Play Store.
This application will let you power off your device without pressing and holding your power button.
You can search for this application at the Play Store and download it for free.
In the step: "Press and hold the volume button for few seconds when your phone is off.". it doesn't work?
Actually, it should work. But you should first consider some factors that might cause this. Try charging your phone to make sure that it can be charged. If it can't be charged, your battery may be defective; if that's the case, you'll need to replace the battery.
See more questions like this: When i press the volume button and plug it in it just goes to a green battery
My phone just shows its factory mode, followed by Japanese words. Nothing happens after that. Will my phone never turn on again?
Follow the steps below to reset your phone to factory settings:
1. Turn your device off. 2. Simultaneously press and hold both the power button and volume rocker. 3. Use the volume keys to highlight the factory reset option. 4. Press the power button to select the factory reset option.
Another way to do a factory reset for your device is to hold the power and volume up buttons while the device is turned off to start the factory reset process. From here you will need to press the volume buttons to highlight the factory reset option and press the power button to select it and begin the process.
See more questions like this: My samsung galaxy s4 turns on briefly, and then the screen freezes and it turns off, how do I fix this
I'm having trouble getting my phone to stay on?
It's come on and then goes right off. I think the power button is stuck.
It could be a physical problem with the power button. On the other hand, you may want to check the status of your battery. Devices that have trouble staying on tend to have a defective battery. You'll need to get the battery replaced in order to take care of this issue.
See more questions like this: My phone is stuck onn a transparent screen
How do I get my phone's included charger to work when the battery is inside?
I have to remove my phone's battery for my phone to charge. How do I take care of this issue?
You may have a defective charger or charging port. Use the charger on another device to see if the charger is defective or if it's the charging port on your device that needs fixing.
Is there a way to disable the power and volume buttons and control from the screen?
Are there settings somewhere that allow me to disable the power and volume buttons so I don't accidentally press them?
Unfortunately, there is no way to disable the power or volume buttons. You can enable alternative methods of powering the phone down while it's on or adjusting the volume, but there is no way to actually disable the buttons themselves.
See more questions like this: What is happening and how to fix
Phone does not boot when I hold down volume up and plug it into my computer?
My phone does not boot when I hold down volume up and plug in to computer. Followed the instructions perfectly but doesn't work.
If this option does not work then it means that you will in fact need to have the power button fixed on your device. Also, aside from plugging the device into the computer, you will need to plug it directly into the wall.
My phone's factory mode appeared. What does this mean?
After I held the volume button and connected to USB, factory mode appeared with Chinese language.
It simply means that you are toggling the system menu by using the volume/power buttons. It appeared in the Korean language because it is probably programmed that way by Samsung, which is a Korean company. If you forget your pattern or password, and you cannot reset it because the device is locked, this feature comes in handy to reset the device and start from scratch.
My 2 week old phone is dark. It was working fine this afternoon.
The battery could have been low, but I have been recharging it. What should I do?
You should check your phone's brightness settings -- you may have changed them on accident. If your screen is just unusually darker but still working, it is most likely because of the brightness settings. However, if it's completely dark and not working at all, your screen or another component of your phone may be broken, in which case you'll need to get it repaired. Thankfully, since your phone is only two weeks old, you're still covered for free repairs under the manufacturer's warranty.
See more questions like this: Is this Galaxy s4 unsalvageable or can I fix it
My phone has a prolonged Yellow SprintSpark screen when rebooting?
The phone has been showing the yellow SprintSpark screen since turning it back on for a long time. There is no Spark network in Milwaukee area yet. Is it just taking forever to reboot? It's been several minutes.
If your phone hasn't booted up within a minute and a half of starting the boot up process, try taking the battery out and putting it back in. If it still doesn't boot within a minute and a half, take the phone into your local Sprint store to get it checked out for problems.
See more questions like this: My phone has the blue led light
My phone reaches the Galaxy logo but doesn't get past it, and then it reboots.
My phone is trying to turn on, I see the Galaxy logo, but it shuts down again. We got a new battery, same problem. We tried a reboot, and pushed the volume up for second, but got the same problem.
Your phone is stuck in what's called a boot loop. This happens when the phone's firmware or operating system can't complete the boot process. The phone restarts itself to try again, but the problem persists. You will need to take your phone into your local carrier store or send it back to Samsung to get the problem remedied.
See more questions like this: I rebooted my samsung s4 and after then it hasnt shown any signs of network ,,,how can you help
My S4 stuck at boot loop.... cannot even get to safe/recovery mode?
My S4 stuck at boot loop.... cannot even get to safe/recovery mode
Howikis QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Failed the download on the S4 accidentally when my phone disconnected?
PC won't recognize my phone anymore because I failed the download when I tried.
Howikis QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 42,737 times.