Perform Basic Troubleshooting Procedures on Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Lynn, Alma, Maria
This is part of the Howiki on how to use the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. You can visit the main reference of the article on how to Use Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for a full list of Note 3 Howiki Articles
Are you experiencing problems with your Samsung Galaxy Note 3? You can always have the option to request for a repair, especially if it is still under warranty. However, before going to a Samsung Service Center, you may want to check on the basic troubleshooting tips below. These tips may save you a lot of time and resources. Below are the common problems that people encounter when using their Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and the instructions on how to deal with and fix them:
EditI cannot enter into my device - it keeps on asking me for a code
You may have enabled one of Note 3's security locks. You need to enter the code that you have preset to be able to enter back to your device. These are the following types of codes that may be needed to enter:
- 1Password.When you have enabled the device lock feature of Samsung Galaxy Note 3, then you are required to enter a password to get back in. Just enter the password that you set with your device and you should have access to your phone. Passwords can be a series of numbers, a pattern, or a swiping gesture.2SIM Card Lock (PIN).When you have enabled the SIM card lock, you will be required to enter your SIM card lock every time you reboot your phone. The SIM card lock can be changed through the Settings under Security Options.3PUK Code.When your device requires you to enter the PUK Code, it means that you have entered the SIM lock for several attempts and now the SIM is locked. Simply enter the PUK Code to unlock your SIM card and use it again. Usually, PUK codes can be found at the back part of the SIM card bedding.4PIN2.Some SIM functions will require you to enter the PIN2 to be able to access them. If your phone asks you for the PIN2, just enter the PIN2 as displayed on the back part of your SIM bedding.
For a detailed troubleshooting article on getting your way with a locked Note 3, check out this Howiki article on how to Access a Locked Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
EditMy Galaxy Note 3 does not display network or has service error messages
If you have problem with your network signals or keep on receiving network error messages, you may want to check these tips:
- 1Get to an area with better network reception.Most of the time, problems with network connectivity are caused by an area with a limited and poor reception. Just move to a location with better reception to enjoy network services again.2You may not have subscribed to a network service.Before using any network service, make sure that you have subscribed to it. Check with a customer service representative if you are subscribed to a certain service and ask for a subscription if you are not yet.3You may not have enough credits on your account.Some network services may require you to pay for it. Make sure that you have enough credits to be able to enjoy the service.
For a detailed troubleshooting article on getting your way with network problems on Note 3, check on this Howiki article on how to Fix Network Problems on Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
EditMy Samsung Galaxy Note 3 does not turn on
If you cannot turn on your phone, you may have a problem with the battery. Try some of these procedures so you won't have to unnecessarily bring your device for a repair:
- 1Check if your battery has not been completely depleted.Once your battery is out of juice, it will turn off your Note 3 and it will not turn on no matter how you push the power button. What you can do is to give your device at least an hour charge before attempting to turn it on again.2Check if battery is properly inserted.A battery that is improperly inserted may damage your case and the battery itself. It also causes your phone not to turn on as the terminals did not touch each other to establish a connection. Though inserting a battery has been designed to be idiot-proof, some people may still improperly put in the battery.3Clean the terminals on both the phone and the battery.As time goes by, the terminals of your phone and battery may get dirty or corroded. Make sure to clean these terminals so connection can be made and power can easily travel from the battery to the phone.
EditMy Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has does not properly respond to touches
- 1Check and see if you are using a high quality screen protector.A screen protector that is of low quality can affect the sensitivity of your touchscreen. Make sure to buy a genuine screen protector or get one from a brand known to be of good quality.2Check if your fingers or the touchscreen are wet or has moisture.Liquids can interfere with the sensitivity of the touchscreen. If your finger or the touchscreen is wet, your tapping gestures won't be properly recognized. If this is the case, make sure to dry your hands and wipe the touchscreen with a smooth cloth.3If you are using gloves or any similar item, they may make it impossible to use the touchscreen.Gloves or any items worn on hand can affect the sensitivity of your Note 3. You have the option to remove the gloves or set Note 3 to be extra sensitive. You can check on this Howik article on how to Use Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with Gloves On.4Check if you have the latest official version of your phone.Some bugs causes abnormalities on your phone's touchscreen sensitivity. Make sure that you update your Note 3 to the latest official version, either through Samsung Kies or through the device's over-the-air (OTA) option.5Check to see if there are scratches or cracks on the touchscreen.Scratches and a broken screen can affect Samsung Galaxy Note 3's touchscreen sensitivity. Check with a qualified technician what your choices are.
EditDevice hangs, freezes or has errors
If you are experiencing freezes and slow processing on your device, do any of these before checking with the service center:
- 1Pull out the battery and put it back in again.Cutting the power source will allow your phone to reboot and terminate any running application that's causing the problem.2Perform a reset.If a single reboot won't fix the problem, a reset will fix the problem. It should, however, be noted that a reset will delete all of Note 3's files. Make sure that backup has been done beforehand to keep your files from being deleted.
For a detailed troubleshooting article on dealing with your freezing phone, you can check on this article on how to Reset Samsung Galaxy Note 3
EditMy Samsung Galaxy Note 3 cannot connect perform outbound calls
If your phone cannot do outbound calls to other numbers, you may want to check on these tips:
- 1Check if you have a good network connection.Check your network signal indicator to see if it is showing a good connection. If it is on low network indicator, move to a place with better reception. High walls and structures may affect your signal. Some devices can affect the quality of network signal in an area. Try to move around to get to a location where there is a good network signal.2Check to see if your SIM is allowed to do outbound calls.Some SIM cards are blocked from doing outbound calls. Depending on the package that you have, or based on specific requests, your SIM card may not be allowed to perform outbound calls. You can call your network's customer service representative and ask if your SIM is blocked from doing calls. If this is the case, ask for the process of call activation and comply with what they ask. In no time, you will be able to perform calls on your Galaxy Note 3.3Check if you have enough credits to perform calls.Even if your SIM is allowed to make calls, check to see if you have enough credits to perform calls. If you are on an unlimited call data, check if the network of the number you want to call is part of the package. If your credit is not enough to perform calls, reload your phone with enough credits to perform calls.4Check to make sure you have not barred the number you are calling.If you are sure that you have a SIM that is allowed to call and that you have enough credits to perform calls, but you still cannot perform a call, set the call barring options of your phone. Check on your additional call settings to see if you disabled all outgoing calls from your phone. If its outgoing calls are disabled, enable the function by tapping on the box with a check and entering the security code (default: 1234). For a detailed article on doing this, see the article on how to set call barring on Samsung Galaxy Note 35Could be a problem with the contact.If you have checked every tip above and still cannot call, make sure that it is not a problem with your contact. You may have been blocked by the contact for making calls, the contact may be out of network service, or the contact's phone may be turned off. Try to call other contacts to confirm that you can perform calls. Also, you can borrow other people's phones to check if they also cannot contact the number. If they cannot contact it, then the phone may be turned off or does not have network signal. If they can contact it, your number may be barred by the owner.
EditMy Samsung Galaxy Note 3 cannot connect receive inbound calls
If your Note 3 cannot receive inbound calls, you can check on these fixes:
- 1Check if your network connection is good.Problems with the network connection can cause your phone not to receive calls. If your network signal indicator is on the first or zero bars, move to a different location until the signal bar increases. Take note that some obstacles and electric components can affect how your phone receives a network signal.2Check to make sure you have not barred all incoming calls on your Note 3.You need to check the additional call settings of your Note 3 to see if you have not blocked all incoming calls to your phone. For a detailed article on doing this, see the article on how to set call barring on Samsung Galaxy Note 33It could be a problem with the contact that is trying to call you.It could not be your Note 3's problem at all, but an issue on the other end of the line. To verify this, try to ask other people to call you and see if you can receive calls from them. If there is no problem with your device, do your friend a favor by directing him or her to this article to troubleshoot his or her phone.
EditPeople on the other line cannot hear what I say during calls
If the caller from the other line cannot hear you speaking, one of the suggestions below can help you fix your problem:
- 1A bad network connection can cause problems with the voice.Since your voice is transmitted over the network, any problem on it can affect the quality of the call. Make sure that you and the other party both have good network connections. If either of you has a poor connection, consider moving to another location to get better reception.2Make sure that you have an audible voice.The problem could be with your voice. Make your voice loud enough for the other party to hear you.3Move to a more quiet place.Your surroundings can greatly affect the way people hear your voice on the other line. If it is too noisy, the background noise may overwhelm your voice, thus disallowing your contacts to hear you. If you are in a noisy environment, try to move to more quiet place that doesn't have as much background noise.4Make sure that the microphone is not covered.The microphone is the little hole found on the lower part of your screen. Check to see if there are impurities or objects that have been clogging up the microphone, as these obstruct audio coming through your phone. If there is dirt on it, use a small object to gently remove it from the hole. Make sure that you do this carefully and surely so you won't push the unwanted object into the phone instead.5Your headset may be defective.If you are using a headset, the problem could be with your headset. First, ensure that the headset is properly plugged into the multi-purpose jack. Next, make sure that your headset is not defective. Confirm this by trying to talk while the headset is removed. If you can be heard without the headset, then it may be time to get a new one for your phone. However, before buying a new headset, make sure that the problem is not with the headset jack. You can confirm this by using the headset on another phone to see if it works, or you can check the next tip...6Check on the headset jack (multi-purpose jack).The multi-purpose jack could be the culprit. Make sure that you check the opening of it to see if there are lodged metallic materials. These materials will cause your phone to think that a headset is connected to it, thus disabling the microphone to give way for the microphone on the headset. If there are foreign materials in it, remove it out by using a small, thin and hard object. Make sure that your phone is positioned upright so you will not lodge the object further into your Note 3.7It could be a problem on the other line.Your contact may have problems with the network connection, or have a defective receiver. To make sure that the problem is not with your phone. Try to call another contact to see if you still cannot be heard.
EditThere is an echo during a call
- 1You have set your phone into loudspeaker mode.When you set your phone to loudspeaker mode, the voice on the other end of the line will not go out of the ear receiver, but on the speaker. This can be useful in a lot of situations, but there are downsides to this. One of them is the echo. Since the voice comes from the speaker, it is naturally louder and your microphone will pick it up as an external noise, transmitting it back to the speaker, and thus creating the echo effect. To correct this, turn off the silent mode or lower your volume down so the person on the other line will be audible enough to be heard but not too loud to cause an echo.2Your volume is too loud.Sometimes, even when not on loudspeaker mode, the volume of your receiver speaker may be too loud. Lower down the volume until the echo is gone.3You actually have real echo.The problem could be with your surroundings. You may be in a super enclosed room or the bathroom and that's causing your voice to create actual echoes. If this is the case, move to another location or open the windows or doors to allow the audio waves to travel out of your room.
EditMy Samsung Note 3 often gets disconnected from the network
If you are frequently getting errors in the network connection of your Samsung Galaxy Note 3, check on these solutions and see what applies to you:
- 1Your location has poor network signal.As stated in the previous suggestions, a location with poor signal can cause various errors in network signal. If you are in a location with poor network reception, move to a place with better signals to prevent issues of disconnections from the network.2You are blocking Note 3's internal antenna.The internal antenna of your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is located on the lower part of the device's back. If you have low to poor network signal, make sure that your hand or any object is not blocking the antenna as it makes it harder for the device to receive network connection.3Problem with your SIM card and SIM slot.Issues with your SIM card or the SIM slot of your Note 3 could be the problem. SIM cards that have been constantly transferred from one phone to another could, in time, get thinner. A thin SIM card may cause disconnection problems with the SIM slot terminal. Check if this is the issue. You can do a simple fix on this by replacing your SIM card, or put some tape on the back of it to make it thicker to the point where the terminals of the SIM card and the slot will touch each other.4You are moving.This is an obvious reason. When you are moving, you may be positioned in a place with great signal, then get to another place with poor to no signal. This is normal, as different locations have different network signal reception. Make sure that when you want to perform network-related services, you are in an area with a good network signal.
EditQuestions and Answers
Who calls me says they can hear a bad echo of their voice?
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 & who calls me says they can hear a bad echo of their voice
Usually, a bad echo is caused by a bad network connection. What you can do is to try calling again. Hopefully, by your next call, the bad echo is gone. Make sure that you are always in a location with a good and stable signal with your carrier to prevent bad echo.
Cant hear incoming calls and people on the other end cant hear me?
When i receive a call i cant hear the call as the sound does not work and also even though i can hear people who called me or i called, they cant hear me for some reasons i don't know
I have checked the audio settings all normal.
If the audio and microphone settings are normal but you still can`t hear them and they can`t hear you, it may be a problem with the quality of your network service. If the signal is not good, that may cause problems in reception and you may not really hear the person you are talking to and the same with them.
On the other hand, you may want to have your microphone and speaker physically checked. If you settings are normal and your signal is good, there is a high likelihood that something is wrong with the hardware of your device.
My samsung note 3 getting disconnected during call?
My samsung note 3 getting disconnected during call
You should check whether you have put limits in terms of the length of call that you do with your Note 3. Check this under call settings.
Also, check whether your service provider is the one who has imposed these types of limits.
You may want to check whether your signal is good enough. Most disconnections are caused by poor network signal.
When i receive or make calls..I can not hear them and they also cant hear me?
They can not hear me and I can not hear them on phone call
Howikis QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
DIY antenna booster of some sort?
Hi. Im in an area that has bad 3G reception. Now the signal can be picked up not far from where I am so I was wondering if there is a way I can make something or do something to get that little bit of signal I need? I know on the older phones there is an external antenna jack at the back but the Note3 does not have one.
Howikis QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Recent edits by: Alma, Lynn, Leomar Umpad
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 3,638 times.