Make Calls on Samsung Galaxy S4
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Charmed, John Israel Deleña, Lynn and 9 others
This is part of the Howikis on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the main Howikis on how to USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 for a full list of S4 Howikis Articles
A phone would not be considered as such if it has no ability to make calls. The process for making calls with the Samsung Galaxy S4 is similar to calling on other Android phones. This Howikis will show you how to do the make calls using the Samsung Galaxy S4, use speed dial for faster dialing, familiarize yourself with the phone's number prediction feature, find contacts, make an international call, and perform other necessary actions during a call.
Edit Making calls on Samsung Galaxy S4
To make calls on Samsung Galaxy S4, you may refer to the steps below:
- 1Go to the Samsung Galaxy S4's home menu.2Tap on the Application Drawer (lower right icon on the home screen).3Look for the phone icon in the Application Drawer and tap on it.4You are now on the Samsung Galaxy S4's Phone application.Alternatively, you can simply tap on the phone icon from your home menu (lower left on the home screen) to access the Phone application.5Once you are in the Phone application, you can either make the call by using the Keypad, the Logs, the Favorites or the Contacts.6If you want to use the Keypad, tap on the Keypad tab and enter the number using your phone's on-screen keypad.Tap the "Call" button to make the call.7If you want to use the Logs, tap on the Logs tab to view a history of your incoming and outgoing messages and calls.Tap on a number or contact name and press the "Call" button to make the call.8If you want to use the Favorites, tap on the Favorites tab to view a list of your favorite contacts.Tap on a number or contact name and press the "Call" button to make the call.9If you want to use the Contacts, tap on the Contacts tab to view a list of all your contacts.Tap on a number or contact name and press the "Call" button to make the call.
EditAvailable actions during a call
Normally, when the phone is on a call, some of its basic functions are temporarily suspended until the call is done. However there are allowable actions that may be done during the call. Familiarizing yourself with these actions may help you save time and resources:
- 1Equalizer Button - Allows you to select and use an equalizer option during your call.2Noise Reduction Button - Allows you to deactivate or activate the noise reduction feature of your phone.Effective turning on and off the noise reduction feature can get you cleared conversation.3Increase/Decrease Volume Button - Allows you to increase or decrease the call volume,4Hold/unhold Button - Allows you to hold or unhold a call.This may come in handy when you enable your call waiting and call conference feature. You can also use the headset hold/unhold button for this purpose.5Add call - Allows you to dial a second number to call.6Keypad - Allows you to open the Keypad for purposes of dialing, or viewing contacts.7End Call - Allows you to end the current call.8Speaker - Allows you to use your phone on loud speaker mode.Do not put your ears near the speaker when you are on this mode.9Mute - Allows you to set your phone to Mute mode.During Mute mode, your microphone is turned off so the other party cannot hear you.10Headset - Allows you to set to a Bluetooth headset if the said headset is connected and paired with your Samsung Galaxy S4.11Swap - Allows you to swap between calls when you are on a multiple call.12Merge - Allows you to connect to active calls.You can repeat this to add more calling parties to the conference. This feature is only available only if the conference call service feature of your network is allowed.13Tapping on "Menu" button and tapping "Contact" - Allows you to open and view the contact list on your Samsung Galaxy S4.14Tapping on "Menu" button and tapping "Memo" - Allows you to create a memo.This may be useful when there is something that you need to take note during the call.15Tapping on "Menu" button and tapping "Message" - Allows you to create and send a message during the call.16Tapping on "Menu" button and tapping "Transfer" - Allows you to disconnect from the conversation and connecting the first and second party of the call.17Tapping on "Menu" button and tapping "Manage conference call" - Allows you to manage conference calls.This may be useful when you want to have a private conversation with a party during a conference call or disconnect a desired party from the conference call.
Edit Use fixed dialing number
Samsung Galaxy S4 can be set so that it may only call certain numbers from a set of specified prefixes. This is useful if you do only want to call people on a specific network to save additional charges on inter-network calls. To do the restriction, you may need to follow these procedures.
- 1Go to your home menu.2Tap on the "Menu" button (left button).3On the Menu list, tap on "Call Settings".4On Call settings, tap on "Additional Settings".5On Additional Settings, tap on "Fixed Dialing Numbers".6On Fixed Dialing Numbers, tap on "Enable FDN".7You will be required to enter the PIN supplied with your SIM card.8
Edit Use call barring
Samsung Galaxy S4 can be set to restrict certain call types from being made. You can do this be following the steps:
- 1Go to your home menu.2Tap on the "Menu" button (left button).3On the Menu list, tap on "Call Settings".4On Call settings, tap on "Additional Settings".5On Additional Settings, tap on "Call Barring".6Select a Call Type.7Select a Call Barring option.8
EditHow to make conference call in Samsung Galaxy S4
To set up a conference call and add or merge two or more calls, just follow these steps:
- 1Go to the home screen of your Samsung Galaxy S4 phone, then tap the "Phone" icon.2To begin the conference call, dial the caller's number by tapping the "Keypad" icon.3To dial, enter the number and tap the "Call" button.4While you are on the call, tap the "Add Call" icon to start the conference.5Enter the number of the additional caller to the conference by tapping the "Call" button.6After your second call, just tap the "Merge" icon.7If you wish to end one of the calls, just click the "Menu" key.8Then, to go back and tap "Manage Conference Call".9If you want to end the call with one of the callers from the conference, tap the "End" icon.10
Edit How to get call log symbol and contacts in Samsung S4
To get the Call Log Symbol and the Contacts on your Samsung S4, you have to:
- 1Go to your home screen.2Press and hold on a blank space on your home screen.3Choose "Apps" to add a shortcut for Call Log.4Choose "Call Log".5Tap on "Back" and go to the home screen once again.6Press and hold on a blank space on the home screen.7Choose "Apps" once again to create a shortcut for Contacts.8Choose "Contacts".9Touch and drag the shortcuts to the location or area that you would like them to be placed on.10Then drop at to the exact location you prefer.11
EditHow to know call is waiting for outgoing calls on Samsung S4
- 1You can be alerted when there is a call waiting during your outgoing calls.There are many options available to alert you. Here is the procedure to bring up those options. The many options will be described, and the procedure to enable your choice for the call alert:
2After “Call Alerts” appears you have the following alerts and how you can enable them:
- Go to the home screen
- Tap “Apps”.
- Select “Settings”.
- Select “My device”.
- Tap “Call”.
- Tap “Call Alerts”.
3More calling options on the Samsung Galaxy S4:
- Tap “Answer vibration”, which activates vibrate when the other person answers your call.
- Tap “Call-end vibration”, which activates vibrate when your call has ended.
- Tap “Call connect tone”, which creates a tone once your call is connected at the other end.
- Tap “Minute Minder”, which creates a beeping sound after each minute during a phone conversation.
- Tap “Call – end tone", which signals a tone after your call is finished.
- Tap “Alerts during calls”, which activates an alarm with any message notifications during your call.
4On the “Call accessories” menu, you have four options:
- On your home screen, touch “Apps”.
- Go to “Settings”.
- Select “My device” tab.
- Tap “Call”.
- Tap “Call accessories” on the menu.
- Automatic answering timer - sets up an automatic time delay prior to your Galaxy taking a call.
- Automatic answering - sets up the Galaxy to answer your calls when a headset is worn.
- Outgoing call conditions – permits you to send calls when your mobile device is locked.
6At “Additional settings” tap for any of these options on the Galaxy S4:
- On the home screen, tap “Apps”.
- Go to “Settings”.
- Select the “My device” tab.
- Tap “Call”.
- Tap “Additional settings”.
- Call forwarding – Used for forwarding calls to another party.
- Caller ID – Permits you to select how/if you want your caller ID to be seen: Hide number, Show number, and Select Network default.
- Auto redial – Your last number dialed will be automatically redialed if you lose the call or are unable to connect on the first try.
- Call waiting – It will signal you when there is a party trying to call you while you are already on a call.
- Fixed dialing numbers – With this you can allow only certain phone numbers to reach you.
You now have the many calling options from which to personalize all your Samsung Galaxy S4 calls, including how to know if a call is waiting for outgoing calls.
Edit Tips and Tricks
- Tap and hold the corresponding digit to use the speed dial feature of your phone.
- Samsung Galaxy S4 has a neat feature that predicts number based on the current dialed numbers. When you are in the process of dialing the first four or five digits, your phone will show the possible matches. Tap on the list of possible numbers to make the call.
- You can also find contacts by merely entering the contact details like name, phone number or email address. As characters and digits are entered, possible matching contacts will show. Tap on the desired contact to make the call.
- To make an international call, tap and hold on "0" until the "+" sign appears. Follow the "+" sign with the country code + area code + phone number and then tap the Call button to make the call (a different call charge may be applied for international calls)
- You can add a phone number to the contact list from the keypad by entering the number and tapping on "Add to contacts".
- To view call logs, tap logs to view the history of outgoing and incoming calls to and from your phone. You can filter call logs based on a category by tapping on the "Menu" button and tapping on "View by". You can then select the option that you want.
- Calls may only be made when there is enough network signal in your area.
- Call quality may depend on your area's network signal and on your partner’s network signal.
- Charges may be applied to calls. Additional charges may be applied on conference calls, please check this with your local network service provider.
- If you are on an unlimited calls service to a network provider, knowing when to use the Fixed Dialing Number (FDN) feature on your phone may save you large amounts of call charges.
- For longer calls, it is advisable to use a headset instead of putting your phone to your ears for long periods as this may cause some physical strains on your arms and neck muscles.
EditQuestions and Answers
What is the default password for Galaxy S4? I don't know the password to unlock call barring?
There is no set password for call barring. When you attempt on activating the call barring service on your phone, you choose your own password before you can activate it. When asked for a password, simply enter the password that you want and call barring will be activated. When you need to deactivate it, simply follow the same procedures and enter your password again.
If your phone is asking for a password even if you have not set it yet, try the default 0000. This is the default password for network carriers. Take note that there is a limit to the number of times that you can enter the wrong barring password, then the only way now is to call your network operator and ask for a reset of the barring password for your device. It is important to know that any reset on the device will not reset your password. Only the carriers can help you with this.
The only default password on the device will be 0000 or 1111 which in fact is the default code for things pertaining to pairing or passwords on your device.
How to end one conference call while keeping 2nd call?
I am trying to end one call on a conference call on my galaxy s4 and i cant figure it out...i have researched it on google and it says while on a three way call u should be able to select the menu option and select manage contacts but i dont have that option"
This depends if your carrier is a GSM or CDMA. Usually the option for being in between two calls is available with GSM providers. The list below will tell you which is GSM and CDMA
GSM Carriers:CDMA Carriers:
Sprint, Verizon and U.S. Cellular
So far, if you are a CDMA consumer, there is no app to end on a three way call. However, if you are GSM user, just let the other caller hang up on the call and it will automatically switch to the other caller.
See more questions like this: How to drop 1 caller from a conference call
Can´t hear the caller and he can´t hear me?
I have problem with my Galaxy S4 mini, when my husband calls me from his S4, he cannot hear me and I cannot hear him. However, we both can normally call and hear other people and receive calls from other people and they hear us and we hear them. We have not changed any settings and we are not rejecting each others calls. What to do?
This issue has been talked about as of now, some people fixed the issue by hard resetting both of the devices to original settings due to the person deleting important information from the phone and also for downloading an application that corrupted the device.
Also you can contact your carriers customer service in order to help reset your network settings without having to reset your whole device because of this issue.
See more questions like this: Ability to call directly from the contact button
I have tried ending a conference call but when I ta the menu button manage call doesn't pop up. just message, memo and contacts. what should I do?
Need to end conference call but the manage call tab doesn't pop up
If you are wanting to end the whole conference call you can simply press the end call button to cut off the whole conversation between you and the other people.
Also if your manage tab disappeared look at your phone and slide your notification bar down in order to select the phone icon in order to bring back up the phone options.
If you are wishing to fully cancel the whole conference call you can simply end the call by pressing the end call button. Also if you are wanting to manage the calls you will need to press the menu button in order to open up to the option of ending the call with on person on the list or removing them from the call.
Ok if I'm talking to someone and someone else calls me and i click over and answer their call, How do i join both of their calls?
If you want to join both of the calls you will simply need to hit the Merge button which is located on the screen after you click over to talk to the next person, also you can opt to not click over at all but instead merge the calls.
You can join both of the calls by performing the following steps:
1. Take the phone away from your face
2. Press the Merge button in order to bring the two calls together
None of this stuff shows up on my Samsung galaxy s4?
In the step: "At â€œAdditional settingsâ€ tap for any of these options on the Galaxy S4: Call forwarding â€“ Used for forwarding calls to another party. Caller ID â€“ Permits you to select how/if you want your caller ID to be seen: Hide number, Show number, and Select Network default. Auto redial â€“ Your last number dialed will be automatically redialed if you lose the call or are unable to connect on the first try. Call waiting â€“ It will signal you when there is a party trying to call you while you are already on a call. Fixed dialing numbers â€“ With this you can allow only certain phone numbers to reach you." None of this stuff shows up on my samsung galaxy s4
Depending on your software you can do the following steps in order to create a list of who can call you:
1. Go to settings 2. Go to call 3. In here you will notice the tab "call barring" from here you will be allowed to create a list
Also you can contact your carrier who can create a fixed calling list that will allow only certain people to be able to call your phone.
This is because a lot of settings have changed on the S4 since the new update that has taken place. I have noticed that in your description you have symbols mixed in with your question, if you can kindly ask your question I will be able to assist you in finding what you are looking for in your device.
In the step: "Then, to go back and tap "Manage Conference Call". " Why is this 'manage conference call' feature not available on my samsung galaxy s4?
In the step: "Then, to go back and tap "Manage Conference Call". " Why is this 'manage conference call' feature not available on my samsung galaxy s4?
This feature is available on your device but you must first take your face away from the device, press menu in order to see the option to manage conference call that you are currently in. This will allow you to take off certain people if not all while in a conference call.
You should actually have no problem in having this function work, as this is one of the features of the Samsung Galaxy S4. If it`s not working, you would have to check with your service provider. If you are on a limited data plan, this is more likely the reason why this function is not allowed. On the other hand, if you are on an unlimited data plan and yet this still does not work, it is because the signal is not strong enough to support this function. In this case, you can solve this problem by raising your concern to your service provider.
This feature is not a option , why isn't it?
In the step: "Tapping on "Menu" button and tapping "Manage conference call" - Allows you to manage conference calls. This may be useful when you want to have a private conversation with a party during a conference call or disconnect a desired party from the conference call." This feature is not a option , why isn't it?
First you will need to take your face away front he device and press the menu button in order to display the option for you to manage your conference call.
See more questions like this: Why is there a second delay when i answer a call
In the step: "Enter a password." can not disable call barring...need input password?
In the step: "Enter a password." can not disable call barring...need input password
Yes, in order to activate call barring you will need to insert your password that you have on your device so that the device knows that this is coming from its owner. When making changes such as these you will need to enter your password to confirm that you are the owner of the device.
The password they are asking you to enter for call barring is the password you have set up on your device. Before the update it could be a pin, pattern or password. If you would like to continue simply enter a password from your device you have set up or a new password that you will need to set up on the device.
I want to make a conference call with my s4 - is that phone or provider dependent?
Do I need to use an app or can I do this directly through the phone?
Conference call is a network provider dependent feature. Most networks allow conference call, so you can try if your network provider allows this. You don`t need a third party application to this on your Samsung Galaxy S4, You just need to do the following.
- Call the first participant of the conference call.
- While on a call, tap on "Add call".
- Type and call the number of the second participant or click "Contacts" Tab, then select and call the person you want to add in the conference.
- The first participant will be put on hold.
- Tap on Merge to merge the calls.
- That's it.
See more questions like this: When i try to make a call it asks for a password
How do I swap calls when I get more than one?
When I get a call when I am already on the phone it allows me to answer the second call but I can't get back to the first call.
Once you accept the next call on your device you will simply need to pull the phone away from your face to have both calls stacked, from here you will need to simply tap on the person you are wishing to talk to in order to swap the call.
See more questions like this: I am trying to find out how to swap between multiple calls on a galaxy s4
Galaxy S4 conference call issues?
When on a conference call on my galaxy s4 I don't get the option to manage calls. Is this something wrong with my phone or operating system? How do I fix it?
No, nothing is wrong with your device except that there has ben an update applied to all devices which have changed up the settings a bit. When in your conference call take the phone away from your face in order for the option to swap to come up so that you can swap the call or end the call from on person.
See more questions like this: Samsung Galaxy S4 mini.. while attending the second call the first call getting disconnected
Choosing apps takes me to a screen with all of my apps on it and there is not one for call log already loaded as an app
If you want to see your call logs on the phone. You do not need to go to the list of applications or the applications drawer on the phone. You need to simply launch your dialer app on the phone where you usually dial a number to call one of your contacts. You will find there a tabs on top of the screen once you launch the dialer app and tap the call logs and you will find there the list of contacts that you made within the day or for the past days or weeks. The call logs you have there do not list the phone numbers that you have called, but it also includes the phone number that you have texted or SMS.
I want to know what does the merge calls looks like
The merge calls normally looks like two arrows. One below and above, they look like meeting between the line to create one arrow in the middle. They basically merge in the middle to be one. Whenever you select that merge icon, you will see a another icon on your phone screen
Cannot disable the call barring feature on my phone as it asks for a password whenever when I tried to disable it
This is only normal that it would ask for a password as a security protocol on your phone. The default password for call barring is 0000. If you changed this default password before, basically this does not have a recovery which you need to try and recall what it was to disable this call barring.
If you fail to recall what it was, you need to back up the phone data to your computer then reset the phone back to factory settings then restore the deleted files then disable the call barring on the phone and use the default as 0000.
See more questions like this: My keypad used to allow me to enter conference call passwords but somehow has become disabled
I am not seeing an add button to make a conference call on my mobile phone
If the conference call feature is not present on your phone then your phone does not support this method. Not all Android phones has the capability for you to make conference call. Normally, for phone that has support for conference it will be visible on your phone screen upon making a first call. Whenever you made a first call, you should be able to see there an option that looks like a plus sign in a circle for you to add a contact to be called then to merge the two of them. If this is not present then the phone does not have the capability to do conference call.
See more questions like this: How do i set the mute mode on my phone during a conference call
There is no Swap option on my Samsung Galaxy S4, what can I do to swap the calls to talk to the first caller and put the other one on hold?
Actually, there is a swap option on your Samsung galaxy S4. The said option is not really visible on your phone screen which will take different steps that doing a conference or merging a call. In order for you to swap calls and put the other call on hole, follow the steps:
1. Make sure that you have the two calls in merge or conference call
2. On your phone, tap the Menu soft key that is located on the left panel of the home button and a menu will appear on your phone screen.
3. Select the Manage Conference call and you should be able to see your contacts while they are in conference and an icon for the Merge on the left side and End on the right side.
4. To speak with one of your contacts privately and to automatically put the other on hold. Tap the option for the Merge icon as it will be separated from the other contact and you can start talking in private.
If you want to end certain contact, simply tap the red End button on your phone screen to end it then it will be released. If you wanted to end both contacts at the same time, simply tap on back to call and tap the red End call on screen and both will be released.
I cannot find the Manage Conference Call on my Samsung Galaxy S4
The Manage conference call can be found while you have the calls in conference; this is not a visible option on your phone screen. While you have the two contacts in conference call, you need to tap the Options Menu located on the left hand of the home button and an on screen option will appear where you can find the Manage Conference Call.
See more questions like this: I am unable to merge the conference call as the Samsung s4 puts the 1st called number on hold
I find it bogus using a phone where you cannot use conference; I might need to use my old phone. Due to this CDMA and GSM technology thing. I am not sure what are the difference
This is a normal technology for handheld devices that can be on CDMA or GSM technology. There are a lot of confusion regarding with this technology being used to handheld devices. Currently, there are two big companies in the United States using CDMA technology, where in international technology is no longer or in the phase of phasing it out. It is an exclusive technology for US network only. The said company that uses CDMA technology are Verizon and Sprint. Those are the two major companies that use CDMA for their networks. So, to answer your question what does CDMA?
Remember that CDMA phones does not have Sim card slot for you to insert new numbers for your mobile phones. Although that there are CDMA phones that has Sim card slots but only to use the Network from Sprint or Verizon (4G Data network). To make it short, it can only do one feature at a time. Such as, making conference call where you can only do one call at a time or like your data connection enabled and when you make call or calls, the data connection would get disabled to prioritize the call.
Normally, you are required to call the network carrier for them to change the settings on the phone remotely and to have it activated based from the plan you get or subscribed from them.
Let us talk about the GSM. GSM are typically a phone that has Sim card slots that allows you to insert network Sim cards. GSM does not require you to contact a network carrier for the phone to get activated as you can simply insert a sim card from a network carrier that you preferred. GSM uses multiple task, where you can simply do conference and data then call at the same time.
If you are planning also to go abroad or other countries. It is best that you have a GSM ready phone and also being unlocked to use their networks. Just like Philippines, where they use GSM technology and to have Philippine phone number.
To Sum it up, it is not the phone's fault but it is the feature of a certain network carrier why you cannot do multiple task. Due to the CDMA technology that they are using.
I do not see Merge or conference call on my phone and so as Additional settings, where can I look this up?
One possible reason why conference and Additional settings is not available on your phone is due to the phone was being set to easy mode and not in the standard mode. Which you need to change this easy settings mode to a standard mode to have full access of the features on your phone. The easy mode is meant for beginners to make the phone simple to navigate, just like iPhones.
To switch from Easy to Standard mode:
1. Go to your Settings, drag down the notification bar on top to bottom.
2. Tap on Settings, the one that looks like a gear icon on screen.
3. Select the Easy Standard mode then tap the apply button to apply the settings and the phone should be back to standard mode on screen.
If your phone is not currently on easy mode but cannot find the Additional settings. You cannot look that up by simply opening the dialer on your mobile phone. Although you need to launch the dialer.
1. Once you have the dialer or Phone on your phone screen, simply tap on the Menu soft key that is located on the left hand side of the home button.
2. On the small pop up menu on screen, which are: Send messages, Speed Dialing and call settings. Tap on the call settings to open another set or options for configuration.
3. Now, in the call settings screen you should be able to see there a bunch of options. That includes the Additional settings located in the middle screen then tap it to open the menu and to have it all up on screen then configure to which settings you want.
There is no additional settings when I go to Apps then settings, any work around
Actually there is no work around for you to go to the Additional settings on your mobile phone. The additional settings cannot be found in the list of applications and to the settings, this can be found in the dialer or Phone where you usually dial a phone number to call. Simply go back to the main screen or Home screen on your phone, the one that looks like a green handset.
Once you have launched the dialer or Phone. Tap the Menu soft key on the left side of the home button then an on screen pop up selection will appear on your screen. You will see there call settings, speed dialing and the send messages. Tap on the Call settings and there you will find the Additional settings just below the Call accessories and above the Ringtone and Sound Settings.
Tap the Additional settings for you to change some settings on your phone or add. Such as the: Fixed Dialing Numbers, Auto redial, Call waiting, Call barring, Auto area code, Call forwarding and the Caller ID. Once you are done adding or changing some settings, simply go back or press the home button as it will all be saved automatically.
How many calls can be merged at one time?
Need to have a conference call with 7-8 different contacts. will samsung s4 allow this through the merge call feature
The conference call for Samsung Galaxy S4 is not very ideal when you need to do it with 7-8 different contacts. It may be possible, but you may end up having a line that`s not very clear anymore.
For huge groups like this for conference calls, you may want to just opt for other solutions, such as using Go To Meeting or setting up conference calls with Arkadin. These are far more reliable and you are guaranteed of a clearer line. These are also usually free or they allow free trial for a certain period of time.
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 15,033 times.