Install SIM Card and Battery on Samsung Galaxy S4
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Charmed, Lynn, Jerry Rivers and 2 others
This is part of the Howikis on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. The link to the mother howikis is here - USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
To enjoy network services, you need to have a SIM or USIM card inserted and supported by your phone. The process includes removing and putting back the battery, so you can also use this as a guide on how to remove and put back your battery
Edit Installing the SIM Card and the Battery
The steps below will guide you on installing a SIM card in your Samsung Galaxy S4.
- 1Remove your phone's back cover.You can use the provided space on the upper right portion of your phone (when facing the screen).2If a battery is inserted, remove it.Use the small gap on the lower part of the battery to pull out the battery easily.3Insert your SIM card.This is a fool-proof slot so that it will only be able to fit in when the right side of the SIM is facing, gold-colored contacts facing downwards. Make sure that it is a perfect fit to keep your SIM card in place.4When the SIM card is intact, you can then re-insert the battery.Do this by inserting the battery terminals to come in contact with your phone's battery terminals. Press the lower part of the battery to keep it in place.5Put back the back cover.Do this by gently and firmly using the six sides that have the locks. Be careful as these are made of plastic and can easily break.
Edit How to Order and Install the Extended Battery for the Galaxy S3, S4, and Note II
How to order the extended battery for the Galaxy S3, S4, and Note II
The Zerolemon extended battery for all three also has a 180-day warranty with one original and two copies of an instruction sheet. The Zerolemon’s capacity for all three mobile devices is three times the life of the original battery, with the S3 at 7,000 mAh, S4 at 7,500 mAh, and the Note II at 9,300 mAh. They are reasonably priced for such great performance, at $40 each. Reportedly, each comes with NFC (Near Field Communication) so that you can store valued information. Your Zerolemon can be ordered through Amazon.com, and will reach your doorstep within a few days. If you are traveling, an extended life battery for your Galaxy S3, S4, or Note II could be very valuable. The one made by Zerolemon amazingly gives your Galaxy three times the life, or more, before the next charging. The Zerolemon extended battery for each of these Samsung devices comes with your choice of either a blue, black, or white TPU (thermo- polyurethane) case to give that added one-fourth inch of space needed for this powerhouse battery. This replacement TPU case protects your Galaxy better than the original hard plastic backing, and has a softer feel. The Zerolemon extended battery for the S3, S4, and Note II is thick, and takes up nearly all of the back space of your Galaxy. Although it’s only about 20 grams, it still makes it feel hefty. It is worth the heft when you consider all that it can do for you.
How to remove the original cover, and install the extended-life battery with your new TPU cover by Zerolemon
The removal of your original Samsung Galaxy back cover is the same for the S3, S4, and the Note II. Removing the original battery, and replacing it with the much larger and heavier Zerolemon Extended life battery is also the same procedure. Note that your new replacement back TPU cover is deeper than the original, but snaps into place the same way for all three devices.
- 1Remove your phone's back cover.You can use the provided space on the upper right portion of your phone (when facing the screen). There are two wireless charging terminals on the other side of the back cover in the upper portion, so that side will be stiffer as you remove it.2If battery is inserted, remove it.Use the small gap on the lower part of the battery to pull out the battery easily.3Insert the extended-life battery.Do this by first inserting the battery terminals to come in contact with your phone's battery terminals just as you see done with the original battery in the picture. Press the that part of the much larger extended battery to keep it in place.4Put on new back cover provided by Zerolemon.Do this by gently and firmly using the six small locks to snap in place. Snap on the upper portion of the cover with the two terminals first. The new back cover is much more durable than the original, but still take care as you snap it in place securely.
Note that your new back cover fits snugly in place, and that although your Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, or Note II is heavier with a larger back cover, it still functions smoothly. There will be no interference to your camera. Enjoy the new added life for your Galaxy!
- Make sure that your phone is compatible with the SIM card that you will be inserting. If it is not, you may need to use an unlocking service for it.
- Do not put a memory card in the SIM card slot. In the event that you erroneously inserted a memory card on the SIM slot, remove the memory card by using a small pin, making sure that you do not damage any part.
Edit Removing the SIM Card and the Battery
The steps below will guide you on removing a SIM card on your Samsung Galaxy S4.
- 1Remove your phone's back cover.2Pull out the battery.3
EditQuestions and Answers
What Kind of SIM Card Fits?
If you are wondering what type of SIM card fits into the Samsung Galaxy S4, then the answer is a micro SIM card. You can get your own micro SIM card by:
- 1Buying a new micro SIM card.2Cutting a regular SIM card to make it into a micro SIM card.
The Micro SIM will fit into the Samsung Galaxy S4 device.
See more questions like this: Hi, the sim card seems too big to fit into the s4
Cut your own Micro SIM card from a common Mini SIM?
- 1Download the SIM card-cutting template.2Print it at a 100 percent scale, using a DIN A4 Paper.3Use double-sided tape to attach your SIM card firmly on the first template (MiniSIM (2FF) to MicroSIM (3FF).4Use a ruler and pencil to draw the outline of the lines that will be the guide in cutting the Mini SIM.5Use a sharp cutter (or any sharp tool) to cut your Mini SIM along the outlined lines.6Smooth the edges using a file or sandpaper after the procedure.
Note: Be concise with your movements so you will not damage the SIM card. If you are unsure about your ability to cut it properly, you can ask someone who is skilled in cutting to do the procedures for you.
Yes, it is possible for you to cut your SIM card smaller so that it can fit into your S4. In this article visit the picture steps in order for you to be able to view the how to on cutting the SIM card.
Retaining your Own Number?
You can actually buy a new micro SIM card and retain your own number. Call your network's customer care and ask for the service. There will be a minimal fee and you will be asked for some documents. This will also apply when you accidentally damage your SIM card during the cutting procedure above.
You can find out where your number is located by following the steps below: 1. go to settings 2. go to my device tab 3. go to about device 4. click or tap on status 5. View your phones information in terms of your phone number or IMEI number and etc.
What Kind of Battery Fits?
Samsung Galaxy S4 uses a 2600 mAh Lithium Ion battery to withstand S4's processing power for hours. It has an NFC antenna, allowing your device to communicate with other devices and accessories that have the NFC technology.
If you are asking the type of battery in order to find a replacement, one can be found here. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Replacement-Battery-2600mAh/dp/B00BW0X892 It doesn't really give specifics on the battery type, other than power output. All you need to do is search for your phone type in order to get a replacement.
Battery Types Supported/Replacement Batteries?
The only battery that can be used is made specifically for the Samsung Galaxy S4, so you cannot use other models' batteries on it. However, replacement batteries are available so you can get one at a cheaper price.
The battery that can be used for a replacement for the Samsung Galaxy S4 will be a 3.8V Lithium Ion 2600mAh composition battery. This battery will be an easy replacement battery for this device and will deal no harm to the device.
Common problems fitting SIM into Samsung Galaxy S4?
There are two main reasons why one may have problems of fitting a SIM card into Samsung's Galaxy S4. These are:
- 1Wrong SIM positioning.The SIM card is designed to be foolproof. You cannot insert a SIM the wrong way unless you force it. If you are having problems fitting a SIM card to your phone, check these suggestions on how to insert a SIM card to S4:
2Wrong type of SIM card used.If you have checked and made sure that your SIM is facing the right side and the angled portion is inserted first, but still cannot fit the SIM card to your phone, then you may want to check on your SIM as you may be using the wrong type:
- SIM card is positioned with the terminal facing up. No matter how you position the SIM, there is no way that it will fit to the SIM slot on your phone. SIM card's terminal should be facing down when you insert it to your phone so that it will come in contact with your phone's SIM terminal reader.
- The SIM card, though positioned at terminals facing down, is inserted the wrong way. The side with the angle should go in first. If inserted the wrong way, you will not have a fit for the SIM card and you cannot install the battery on your phone.
- Samsung Galaxy S4, as discussed above, uses a micro SIM card (the second picture). Make sure that you use it and not the Mini-SIM nor the Nano SIM.
- If you have a micro SIM that was manually cut from a Mini SIM, double check that you have correctly done it. Check for unpolished edges that may cause the SIM not to fit in the SIM slot.
- If you have a Nano-SIM, you can use a Nano SIM to Micro SIM adapter. You can buy one at Nano SIM Shop or at Amazon and eBay.
The two main reasons of not being able to fit your SIM card into your Samsung Galaxy S4 will be for one if your SIM card is not the correct size, or if you attempted to cut a bigger SIM card in order to fit into your Samsung Galaxy S4 but it was not cut the correct way.
See more questions like this: Sim and battery isssues with may Samsung Galaxy
My SIM card fails to fit into the space for the SIM slot, what should I do?
You either have the wrong SIM card or you inserted your SIM card in the wrong direction. Samsung Galaxy S4 uses a micro-SIM card type. This type of SIM card is smaller than the regular ones but bigger than the nano-SIM cards that are used for iPhone 5. You can check on the picture on the preceding section to get an idea about SIM size. Also, if your SIM card is placed in the wrong direction, it won't fit into the slot too. Review and follow the instructions above to properly install the SIM card into the slot.
What you will need to do is in fact find the proper SIM card that will be able to fit into your Samsung Galaxy S4. There are many different types of SIM cards that you can purchase but you will need to find the proper card for your device. You can take your device to your carriers customer service center in order to have the proper card for your device.
See more questions like this: Do i need a micro sim card for galaxy s4 just got a new one and my card seems to be too big
What do I do to make sure that the SIM application is installed?
Am getting an error the SIM application is not installed
There is no such message as "SIM application is not installed". You may be receiving a message about the SIM card removed, dislodged, or not properly inserted. If this is the case, check if your SIM has been securely inserted and that it is a perfect fit. Also, check the SIM slot if there are no defect or loose ends to it. If you think that there is a problem with your S4's SIM slot, then check if you your device is still under warranty and claim for a free or discounted repair.
Usually this is installed with your phone although sometimes, the system gets a little buggy. I suggest you try to reboot your S4 by turning it off and on again. If the issue persists, I suggest you do a factory reset by dialing:
NOTE: Remove the SD card and SIM card before doing this and do backup of all apps and data by downloading Samsung KIES (http://www.samsung.com/ph/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP) and going to back up and restore tab. If the issue still continues, send your phone to a Samsung service center near you.
Help me to put the SIM card in the Galaxy S4?
What is the gold-coloured contacts please
Howikis QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
See more questions like this: Help me to put the SIM card in the Galaxy s4
I cannot take out SIM card
If you are having problems with taking out the SIM card on your Samsung Galaxy S4, then you need to follow the following procedures:
- Remove SIM card by pushing the SIM towards the SIM slot. This is the easiest, safest and most effective way of removing your SIM card. Your SIM slot has a mechanism that releases the inserted SIM card once you push it towards it. Gently push your SIM card into the SIM slot. Then slowly release the SIM card, and your SIM slot will reject it. If SIM rejection does not happen, then the SIM slot may be defective, and you may try the quick fixes to temporarily remove your SIM. For a long term solution, you need to have the SIM slot checked by a qualified technician.
- Remove SIM card by using a small object to push it outwards. If the SIM ejector is defective, then you may use a small object to push your SIM card out of the SIM slot. Gently push the SIM card outwards until it is out of your SIM slot.
- Remove SIM card by using tape. If you are having a problem with removing the SIM card, you may use tape to do it. Simply stick a piece of tape to the exposed ends of the SIM slot. When the tape has been secured, slowly pull the tape down along with it is the SIM card. If the tape gets removed, stick it back on the SIM card and repeat the procedure until your SIM card is out of the slot.
- Remove SIM card by using a pointed object to partially burrow to exposed part. You can use a pointed object to remove the SIM card. Burrow your small pointed object partially. (Make sure that you do not let it go through the other side.) When burrowed, you can then slide the SIM down to remove it from the slot.
- Have the SIM slot repaired. This is the long term solution for your problem with a defective SIM card ejector. Go to a qualified technician and have your SIM slot repaired. Usually, this type of repair is covered by the warranty as long as you are still in the warranty period.
I correctly positioned the SIM card on the way as instructed on this article but why can't I not completely fit my SIM card into my phone, please help!
There could be a few reasons why your SIM card will not fit into your phone. The following are the most common issue and instructions on fixing them are included:
- 1Your SIM card may be physically damaged.Any damage or dent on your SIM card that alters its physical appearance may cause it not to be fitted on the SIM card slot. Some dents and damaged can still be corrected by gently straightening it out.2Your SIM card slot may be blocked by some small foreign objects.Any dirt, impurities and other small objects on your SIM card slot will cause it to block the entrance of the SIM card to the slot. If objects on your SIM card slot are visible, gently remove them by using a small pin or a small but hard-wooden object.3The SIM card that you are using may be too big for the card slot.Samsung Galaxy S4 requires a micro-SIM card. The regular SIM card would be too big to fit to the SIM card slot. You can buy a micro-SIM card or cut the regular SIM card to a smaller micro-SIM card.
PHONE KEEPS SAYING NO SIM CARD?
INSERTED NEW SIM CARD AND STILL SAYS NO SIM CARD, IT IS A GALAXY 4S
Make sure your mobile account is in good standing with your carrier and contact them regarding activation of your SIM card. You might also need to configure your phone's settings if you are coming over from a different network or if you are starting a new service.
If you think you have a bad SIM, contact your carrier and ask for a replacement. Sometimes, all it takes is a tiny scratch to make the SIM unusable.
Just bought a Samsung Galaxy 5s can't get the back cover opened?
How do I do that without running the phone
In order to open the back cover of your S5, you will need to do the following :
- turn off your phone
- tilt your phone to the right, there will be a slight opening
- pry the right side open
- carefully remove the back part one at a time
- you can now see the battery and the SIM card and SD card slot
- this phone uses a micro SIM and a micro SD as well
You can watch this how-to video to further understand:
I have Galaxy S4 mini from overseas but cannot find out how to remove back cover?
How to remove back cover from overseas S4 mini
Howikis QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 13,868 times.