Get rid of vocal cord nodules
Edited by Ian Gabriel T. Tolledo, Lynn, Robbi, Ermin and 8 others
Vocal cord nodules are small blisters that grow on the vocal cords when they rub against each other too much. Everyone can get this, whether you are a singer, speaker, professor, or just plain old Bill who talks too much. This article will discuss the ways to get rid of vocal cord nodules.
- 1Deeply gargle warm salt water.(Not seawater of course.) Simply mix half a teaspoon of table salt in a glass of warm water, stir thoroughly and gargle for three minutes and then spit. You can swallow just a bit of the water so it coats the inside of your throat. The idea is to coat your vocal cords with warm salt water. Avoid just drinking all that salt water, especially if you are on a low sodium diet for high blood pressure. You may notice that the pain in your throat has significantly decreased. Do this for a maximum of three times a day.2Rest your voice.Speak only when necessary, and remember that most cases of vocal cord nodules happen because of vocal abuse. Rest your voice at least once a day. If speaking hurts too bad, you can just carry a paper and pen so you can still communicate with people around you. Let them know why you're doing it though, because you don't want to look weird.3Good voicing.If you're throat problem is not very serious, you can just practice altering your pitch, loudness and breath support. For example, If you speak in a high or loud voice, it will do you good to refrain from speaking in high notes or talking too loud.
Edit Seeking professional advice
Beware! Vocal cord nodules, if left untreated or ignored for a long time, can cause permanent loss of voice. While mild irritation of throat is normal from time to time due to use, extremely painful throat is not. It will do you good to visit an ENT (Ear-Nose-Throat Doctor) and have yourself checked. Below are the steps you may take when visiting a doctor.
- 1Initial screening.Your doctor will examine your throat to view the present situation of the nodules.2Queries.You will be asked several questions regarding your recent affairs and present lifestyle. This can point out the reason you have the nodules in the first place.3Medication/Advice.Depending on the severity of your case, your doctor can either prescribe medication for you or advise you on how to locally treat your throat nodules. He or she may also point out things which you should do or not do to prevent any further recurrence in the future.4Occasionally, surgery may be advised by your doctor, while most cases of vocal cord nodules go away on their own with rest and therapy.Sometimes, these same nodules can be so well-developed, which is usually caused by continued voice abuse and disregard for the situation. When this happens, there is no amount of voice therapy can heal the voice. There are two surgeries which can be performed by a surgeon to treat the nodules and ease the pain.
- Phonosurgery (voice surgery) - This is the careful removal or incision in a vocal cord, the surgeon will remove the growth or lesion from the vocal cord while at the same time preserving the normal parts of the vocal cord right next to the affected area. This surgery is to restore and save the natural sound and vibration of the vocal cords. During the procedure, the doctor will either sedate you or simply numb the area, depending on your current state.
- Microlaryngoscopy - This is considered the most precise means in operating on the vocal folds, as it also allows the use of two essential and up to-date apparatuses in voice surgery, which are the microscope and microscopic instruments. This surgery is done through a laryngoscope, so a tool is inserted via the mouth without making any skin incisions. Microlaryngoscopy requires the use of general anesthesia, however the patients usually can go home the same day after the procedure. Pain in the surgery is not severe and only takes approximately one hour. Complications can include temporary tingling or numbness of the tongue (caused by the anesthesia).
Edit Possible side-effects
During the operation, a scar can develop on the vocal fold. The probability of a scar greatly varies from every operation, but if there is one, it is generally small in surgeries for benign nodules and lesions. You should discuss the risk of a scar with your doctor, as well as steps to take to prevent scars. Most laryngocologists believe that quitting smoking, control of acid reflux and not using your voice just after your surgery are helpful.
Edit Signs of vocal cord nodules
- 1Hoarseness and a rough voice.2Harshness and scratchy voice.3Breathlessness.4A "lump" in the throat.5Neck pain and decreased pitch range.6
Edit What causes these nodules?
- 1Vocal abuse (shouting for a long time).2Continuous coughing that can irritate the throat.3Bacteria from food/drinks.4Allergies or smoking.5Tense muscles.6Too much caffeine and alcohol consumption (it dries your throat).7
Edit How to prevent vocal cord nodules
- 1Stop vocal abuse.Most people develop vocal cord nodules because they don't know how to take care how they use their voice. Thus, the first step in getting rid of nodules is to stop abusing your vocal cords when using your voice. Rather than shouting, go near the person you are talking to (if possible) or ask someone to relay what you want to say. This way you are decreasing the chance of irritation your throat.2Stop smoking.Yes, smoking contributes to the development of vocal cord nodules. When you smoke, tar and other dangerous chemicals pass through your throat, which can greatly irritate the muscles in the area, thus causing blisters and nodules.3Allergens.
EditQuestions and Answers
Is it possible to have a permanent loss of voice after vocal fold nodule surgery?
Unfortunately, yes, it is possible to have a permanent loss of voice after vocal fold nodule surgery, if you do not follow the medical advice given by your doctor. After the surgical removal, you are required to rest for several weeks. This means no talking, humming, throat clearing, laughing, lifting moderate to heavy weight lifting objects, crying, whistling, singing, groaning, holding your breath, and/or whispering. If you try to do these things, your vocal cords will likely come in contact with each other, which will make the condition worse. It can cause further injury, which may result in delayed recovery or worse, loss of voice. The vocal cords are very sensitive after the surgery. This should be taken into consideration you should carefully heed the advice given to you by your speech therapist and your doctor.
You do not want to delay your recovery, do you? If you do not want this to happen, then you should drink plenty of water after the surgery - 64 ounces per day. If you have to say something, write it on a piece of paper or communicate through any other means, as long as you are not using your voice. Coffee, alcohol, ibuprofen and aspirin, smoking or secondhand smoke, and strong chemical fumes should be avoided in order to recover quickly and get rid of possible infection in the vocal cords.
Yes it is possible due to these following factors: 1. The surgical materials used in the surgery. If the surgical materials that were used in the vocal nodule surgery were not properly sterilized, infections may occur resulting to loss of voice. 2. The cleanliness of the surrounding. The surgical procedure vocal nodule surgery can be performed even at a private medical clinic which only takes for a few minutes to hours. The cleanliness of the surroundings may also add to the success rate of the surgical procedure minimizing the risks of infections resulting to permanent loss of voice. 3. The caliber of the surgeon. Another factor is how good the surgeon is in performing vocal nodule operations. There are some surgeons that`s only been recently practicing vocal nodule operations and there are some surgeons that are very well-versed in these type of operation. If you are planning to undergo a vocal nodule operation, I suggest choosing the surgeon who has the most experienced and a well known surgeon to minimize the risk of losing your voice. 4. Post operative care. This is also one of the most important factor. Before undergoing a vocal nodule surgery, I suggest for you to know first all the post operative care procedures to properly take good care of your throat after the vocal nodule surgery this is to prevent or to minimize infections and injury to the affected part resulting to loss of voice.
In performing a surgical operation, there is always a risk involve, but these risks can be properly minimized by knowing the right medical place who has a complete and clean medical facility and choosing the most experienced surgical doctor to perform the said vocal nodule operation in order for you to not to loss your voice after the operation.
What happens if you ignore vocal cord nodules?
If you ignore vocal cord nodules, you will feel pain in your throat. If you keep talking, humming, whispering, whistling, or doing other things that will make the vocal cords move, the nodules will come into contact with each other. If this happens, the vocal cords will be injured. In addition to the injury of the vocal cords, you will not be able to speak well, and if you do, you will feel discomfort and pain. You also need to be careful about eating because of your strained vocal cords. You cannot drink coffee or alcohol, or smoke cigarettes. The nodules should be treated medically, possibly even surgically, so that they won’t get even worse.
If they are bad enough and require surgery, ignoring them can make it much worse on your throat and voice in general. Now if they are smaller it is possible them might go away on their own with rest and some minor treatment. I would recommend going to a doctor and having him tell you if they require surgery or not, then you can go from there. Its best to never ignore health problems.
See more questions like this: How long does it take for a surgeon to remove vocal cord nodules
Does gargling with salt water for vocal cord nodules actually work?
Gargling with salt water cannot treat vocal cord nodules. However, it can soothe the symptoms brought by the nodules. Some people can feel the efficacy of gargling with salt water, and some cannot. There are no scientific studies that gargling with salt water is bad for the health, so if you think gargling with salt water can ease the pain you are having, then go for it. You should always see your doctor for medical checkups to know if your nodules have become severe. If they are, gargling with salt water cannot help you treat it. Surgical removal is required for severe vocal cord nodules. If your vocal cord nodules are not chronic, then you are only required to take some medications. Herbal medications including gargling with salt water can help reduce the symptoms you are experiencing.
If you are referring to the treatment of vocal cord nodules, the answer is no because these vocal nodules are masses of tissues that already formed a hard-like characteristics because of the presence of fibrous scar tissues. If you are referring to the treatment of the symptoms of vocal nodules, gargling with salt water is very effective because of these reasons: 1. Salt water has an antibacterial effect. Vocal nodules formed in the vocal chord because one of its causative factors is bacterial infection. By gargling thoroughly with salt water, these bacteria present in the vocal cord will be reduce significantly. 2. Salt water has a soothing effect. Gargling with a warm salt water greatly helps soothe the pain in vocal cord caused by the vocal nodules. To sum it up, gargling with warm salt water works best in managing the symptoms of vocal nodules.
Can vocal nodules go away on their own?
Vocal cord nodules are small lumps that grow in vocal cords, which are responsible for vocal issues. These nodules will just go away on their own, if you rest your voice and avoid overusing it. As long as you know how to take care of your voice, you will have no more vocal problems. However, they will return if you do not heed some helpful advice from a voice care professional. If you feel like you have vocal cord issues, then do not try to force yourself to sing or shout out loud. This will just make the situation worse. Rest your voice for few weeks and you will just be fine.
They can most likely go away on their own with rest and proper care. It will be hard for you to tell on your own whether or not they will go away. Its always best to seek medical advice from a trained Doctor. The Doctor will be able to let you know if surgery or some other treatment will be needed.
See more questions like this: How long does it take for vocal nodules to go away
How to get rid of vocal nodules naturally?
As we all know now, vocal cord nodules occur due to vocal misuse and overuse. You can avoid the development of vocal cord nodules naturally by learning to sing properly and changing the way you sing. You may want to attend some singing lessons with a professional singer and teacher, in order for you to sing correctly and avoid vocal cord problems in the future. Homeopathic and herbal remedies can also help dissolve vocal cord nodules. In addition, vocal rest is definitely a helpful remedy for vocal cord nodules. However, for large vocal cord nodules, surgical removal is advised.
Check with your doctor for the vocal nodule size. If it is big, it needs to be removed by your doctor. However, if it is small, all you need to do are the following:
- rest your voice completely (no singing, talking or even whispering) for a couple of weeks
- take ginger tea
- sleep on time
- eat healthy foods
- refrain from drinking cold beverages
- stop smoking
See more questions like this: Diets that help get rid of vocal nodules
How to remove tar from vocal cords?
Smoking is one vice that seems to not have any necessary benefit attached to it but still remains to be extremely addictive. Some people think that lifestyle and work demands incredulously becomes too stressful and is somehow dissipated by smoking; while others think that it's a way to be accepted in a social circle. Both passive and active smoking exposes an individual to different harmful and carcinogenic toxins such as nicotine, ammonia, benzene, and tar; to name a few. These hazardous chemicals significantly increases a person's chances of developing wide range of life-threatening diseases such as throat cancer, lung cancer, and pancreatic cancer; among others.
Tar formation on the vocal cords or folds causes sudden changes in the voice. Hoarseness of the voice and persistent coughing(popularly coined as "smoker's cough")are particularly observed in smoking individuals. Tar coating can precipitate edema or swelling in the vocal cords which weigh it down thus causing vocal changes.In fact, some singers who smoke attribute their raspy and deep voices to habitual smoking; which should not be counted in as an advantage because vocal changes can actually be a tell-tale sign of an otherwise serious condition such as throat cancer.
Here are effective treatment options for removing tar from your vocal cords:
- Salt Therapy -
This is a non-invasive alternative treatment which makes use of salt for regular breathing to flush out harmful toxins in the body such as tar in the vocal cords. The treatments are done in specialized spas. Salt is dubbed to be a powerful antiseptic that can effectively boost the immune system while eradicating harmful agents and bacteria. This effectively drains the mucus buildup and rid the vocal cords of irritants or tar that cause vocal cords nodules. This has a pronounced high success or efficacy rate than most other treatments.
- Diet Modification -
Fill your plate with fiber-rich food such as fruits and vegetables. The vibrant the colors are - the better for your health; so-to-speak. This provides essential nutrients and vitamins that can strengthen the body's defense as well as remove tar buildup or harmful components in the body. You can try out exciting recipes to make healthy meals and desserts for the whole family.
- Water Therapy -
Drink more water or up to the required 8 glasses per day requirement to ensure that your are properly nourished and hydrated to go about with daily activities. Water is essential for total body functioning and to rid the system of harmful chemicals such as tar.
Smoking contains various harmful chemicals that may put your respiratory system at risk for certain diseases. One of these harmful compounds is tar which causes inflammation and irritation on the airway passages and even put you at risk for developing respiratory cancers like vocal cord cancer or lung cancer. Below are the tips to remove the tar from the vocal cords naturally:
- Stop smoking. One of the best way to reduce the formation of tar from the vocal cords is to stop adding tar into the vocal cords. Once you stopped smoking, your body will be able to properly increase its regenerative healing properties slowly removing the tar physiologically.
- Eat vegetables and fruits especially onions and garlic. These vegetables and fruits gives your body enough vitamins and nutrients strengthening your immune system and the onion and garlic both have antibacterial and cleansing properties which helps in removing the tar from the vocal cords.
- Exercise. In every wound healing, exercise is one of the best natural remedy because it enhances the blood circulation of the body promoting faster wound healing and expulsion of harmful toxins in the body.
- Gargle with saltwater. Gargling with a glass of warm water with a teaspoon of salt will also help in removing tar from the vocal cords because salt has a anti-inflammatory effect and it easily scrubs the tar from the throat removing it naturally.
- Water therapy. Try to increase your fluid intake to about 8 to 10 glasses of water a day to help in the lubrication of the throat and expulsion of toxins in the body.
The above mentioned tips are some of the best methods to properly remove tar from the vocal cords naturally.
See more questions like this: How do you know if your vocal cords are rubbing against each other
How does ibuprofen help vocal nodules? #17?
Anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen can be used to relieve the pain and swelling of vocal cords, but should be taken in moderation because they may cause some bleeding and lead to platelet dysfunction. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is also recommended for pain relief.
The drug Ibuprofen is indicated to properly manage swelling (anti-inflammatory), fever (antipyretic) and pain (analgesic) and it is classified as one of the NSAID drugs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug).
The drug Ibuprofen can be properly use in vocal nodules to manage the symptom of neck or throat pain primarily caused by the hoarseness of voice and it is not indicated to properly manage or to treat the vocal nodule itself. The reason behind it is that the vocal nodule is actually a scar tissue that has already formed fibrous scar tissues which is not reversible unlike ordinary inflammation of tissues which renders the Ibuprofen drug useless in managing the nodule. Additionally, Ibuprofen is indicated to manage swelling mostly associated to joint and musculoskeletal disorders like arthritis.
Therefore, the logical answer to your query is that the drug Ibuprofen can be use in the vocal nodule to properly manage the pain in the throat or neck and cannot be use to treat the vocal nodule itself.
See more questions like this: Does Ibuprofen helps vocal nodules since it's an anti-inflammatory
In what time nodules will disappear?
I have nodes since 2 years but they are very small
In most cases, Vocal cord nodules go away on their own, but this will require proper rest and therapy. You can`t really tell when will it disappear. In your case, since you have your vocal cord nodules for 2 years, whether it`s small or big, I`m advising you to please visit your doctor. Your doctor will examine your throat to see the current situation of your nodules and will tell you if you need surgery or just rest and therapy.
I have 2 small vocal nodules since 2 years they will be temperament or they can disappear?
What can I do to dissolve them are any medicines will be effective
With proper vocal cord rest, most nodules go away on their own. These are the things that you should do to make your nodules go away.
- Speak only if necessary.
- Avoid drinking cold beverages.
- Avoid smoking
- If possible, avoid singing until your nodules go away.
- Get enough rest/sleep.
Please do these things for at least a month. If your nodules don`t disappear on their own, please visit your doctor. Your doctor will examine the current situation of the nodules on your throat and give you proper medication.
Natural remedy to dissolve vocal cord polyp?
Vocal cord polyp is an abnormal tissue growth which can be differentiated from vocal cord nodules by the following:
- Vocal cord polyp mostly appear on one side of the vocal cord unlike vocal cord nodule which usually appear in pair in the vocal cords.
- Vocal cord polyp can be caused by several factors like voice abuse, infection, allergy or hormonal disorder unlike vocal cord nodule which is mostly voice abuse.
- Vocal cord polyps usually are inflamed blister-like tissue growth while vocal nodule mostly contain fibrous tissues.
Natural remedies to dissolve vocal cord polyps are:
- Voice rest. One of the causes of vocal polyp is voice abuse similar to vocal nodule. Complete voice rest for about 3 to 5 days for the first few weeks can reduce the inflamed size of vocal cord polyp.
- Ginger tea. Ginger tea is best in reducing bacterial infection and inflammation which is one of the best herbal tea in naturally dissolving vocal cord polyp.
- Vocal hygiene. Gargling with warm water and salt two times a day will help clean the throat and reduce infection and inflammation.
- Diet. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables which are a source of essential minerals, vitamins and antioxidants which helps in strengthening the body`s immune system and removes harmful toxins in the body.
- Water therapy. Increase your daily fluid intake to up to 12 glasses to prevent dehydration and drying in the mucus lining of the vocal cords.
- Avoid caffeine and carbonated drinks. Carbonated drinks may irritate the vocal cord polyp because of its acidic content and the caffeine dehydrates the body because of its diuretic effect.
The above home-remedies are the most common natural remedies in dissolving vocal polyp.
See more questions like this: Foods that dissolve polyps on vocal chords
When you lose your voice why do they tell you to gargle salt water?
Because warm salt water will sooth your vocal chords (you don`t swallow it though). It will also make your voice recover faster.
Left vocal fold polyp need medicine name please?
Left vocal fold polyp need medicine name please
Howikis QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Edit Tips Tricks & Warnings
- When in doubt, do not experiment - seek professional advice.
- Eat healthy. This reduces the chance of you having vocal cord nodules.
- Exercise. A fit body is no place for bacteria and viruses that can cause throat irritation.
- Make sure that your doctor explains to you all possible side effects that can result after a vocal cord/fold surgery.
Recent edits by: Ephraim, Maria Sharon Ubando, Marian Raquel F. Roncesvalles
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 6,086 times.