How to Free Up Android Phone's Internal Storage
Edited by Eng, Ephraim, Maria, Melsan
Most Android smartphones running ICS 4.0 and higher operating systems have had the "Install to SD Card" option disabled by Google. You can no longer install apps and game data to your external memory card. Here are some ways to free up your phone's internal storage, as well as tips on moving your media files to external memory storage.
Uninstall Unused Applications
Chances are, you have an application or two in your application drawer that has not been used for the last three months. Either you forgot to delete it, or you were thinking that maybe you could use it in the future. Consider deleting or uninstalling it. If in the future you need it, you can download it again. To uninstall applications:
- 1Go to your home menu.234In the Applications menu, tap on "Manage Applications".5On the upper tab, click on "All" to view all installed applications.6Choose the application that you want to uninstall.You can sort the applications based on their sizes, to see what applications aretaking up the most space.7Tap on the application that you want to uninstall.8You should see the application details and an "Uninstall" button on the upper right.File:Screenshot_2013-09-27-16-50-29.png9Tap on the "Uninstall" button and confirm it.Confirm the uninstallation.10You have deleted the application.Repeat the steps with other applications you wish to delete.11
Delete Unnecessary Files
Your phone's internal memory may store some files on it. These files may be in forms of mp3s, pictures and videos. These take up considerable amounts of your phone's internal memory. Deleting these unnecessary files can give way for more important applications and files on your phone. Follow the steps below to delete unnecessary files:
- 1Choose the application that you want to uninstall.You can sort the applications based on their sizes to see what applications are taking up the most space.2Turn off your phone.3Remove the battery.4Remove the memory card.This is important so that you do not get confused on where to look for the files to be deleted on your phone.5Turn your phone on after putting the battery back.6Go to your home menu.7Go to your "My Files" folder.Some phones have a different name. Some have the word “Explorer” on it. You will know you are on the right folder when you see sub-folders when you open it.8Navigate through the folders, especially those with names containing mp3, video, audio, others, and DCIM.9Check for a file that you think you can do without.10Long press on it and you should see available possible actions.11Choose "Delete".12Do this until you have deleted all those unnecessary files.13If this wiki helped you... Give our volunteer authors a
- Tip: Do not use "Root Explorer" when doing this to avoid complications on your root/protected files.
Clean Your Cache
The longer you use your phone, the bigger cache it will have. Cache can be important, as it speeds up data retrieval. However, these are stored in your phone's internal memory and most of them are not frequently used. Clearing the cache is a good way to get more internal space. Follow these steps to do this:
- 1Go to your home menu.2Go to "Settings".3From Settings, tap on "Applications".4In the Applications menu, tap on "Manage Applications".5On the upper tab, click on "All" to view all installed applications.6Click on each application to see its details.7You should see the "Clear cache" button on the bottom right of the application details.8Tap on it to clear the application cache.9Do this with other applications as needed.10
Software to clean the internal SD storage in Android device
Manually cleaning the cache of each application can be very tiring. You can use software to clean the internal SD storage in Android device. The following applications have been proven to work well with your Galaxy S4.
- 1Download third party cleaning applications on Playstore.You can choose from any of the three:2Install the chosen application to your phone.3Open it and start cleaning and clearing your cache.4
Backup and Upload Your Photos
Your photos are taking a large chunk of you phone's memory. And the reality is, you will not view most of them anytime soon. If you do not want to delete your photos, you can make a backup on your PC to free more internal phone memory. You can also use websites that host uploaded photos. Check on the ways to save your photos to your PC.
- 1From your phone, transfer the files to your memory card.You can do this by going to file and explorer, choosing the photos that you want to transfer. Press on Options and tap on Cut. Go to your SD card location and. Tap on the Options Menu and choose Paste. Wait for the process to finish. The more pictures you are transferring, the more time it will take to complete the process. Once done, remove your SD Card and transfer the files to your PC by using a card reader. You can also directly use your phone by setting its developer options to USB storage. If you do this, you won't have to remove your SD Card.2Directly transfer files from your phone to you PC by using the right software for your phone.You can use the software intended for your device to transfer files from your phone to your PC. To do this simply install the correct software for your phone on your PC. Connect both devices using a USB cable and proceed with the transferring.3If this wiki helped you... Give our volunteer authors a
- For Samsung, download Samsung Kies here – http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/
Move Applications to SD Card
Using your phone's native app to SD function, you can move application from your phone's internal memory to your SD card. However, not all applications are movable. By default, Android locks system related applications from being moved to the SD card. This is for the purpose of not messing up with your phone. Follow the steps below to move applications using your phone's move to SD function.
- 1Go to your home menu.2Go to "Settings".3From Settings, tap on "Applications".4In the Applications menu, tap on "Manage Applications".5On the upper tab, click on "All" to view all installed applications.6Choose the application that you want to move to the SD Card.7Tap on it and see if there is an option to move it to the SD Card.8If there is, tap on the button and the application should be moved.9If there is no button to move to SD Card, it means that the phone has protected that application from being moved.10
What takes up internal memory on android
The internal memory, as opposed to the internal storage, is the short term memory that is used by your Android device. It is more commonly known as the RAM or Random Access Memory. This is the temporary memory used when you open applications on your device. These make use of your internal memory:
- 1Applications.These applications should be closed when not in use.2Widgets.The widgets update almost all the time, like Weather widgets or Clock Widgets. You can deactivate these or delete them when not in use.3Games.There are games that consume much internal memory, and when the device cannot handle it, it may slow down or worse, it may shut down. Exit from the game after playing.4Browser.Pages that you browse consume temporary memory. Clearing the cache once in a while helps to lessen the internal memory usage.5Operating System.Your Operating System makes use of internal memory to make your device perform at its best.6Themes.There are themes that use a large portion of your RAM. Try other themes to see if they use less internal memory.7Almost everything that runs in the background also takes up internal memory.8If this wiki helped you... Give our volunteer authors a
If you know what you are doing and you are sure that you won't mess up with your phone, you can use third-party applications to move the system-protected applications to your SD card. Make sure to do a backup before proceeding with the transfer, so that your important files and data aren't lost. Below are five applications that enable you to move applications to your SD card. Each has its own pros and cons:
- 12DroidSail Super App2SD - http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidsail.dsapp2sd&hl=tl3456
What files are considered safe to delete when phone storage is full
Imagine you are taking in photos or videos for a special event and then suddenly your phone flashes a notification that your phone storage is full and you cannot take more photos or record more videos. Now you are in a hurry and want to delete some files but not sure what are the files you can delete.
Here are the files you can consider deleting:
- 1Pictures that are already uploaded to your Dropbox or social networking sites.2Files that you downloaded and used before.3Applications you installed and are not being used anymore.4Videos or movies that you copied from your computer.5Music that you transferred from your computer to your phone and still have on the computer.6
Will clearing internal storage remove all my pictures?
You clear your internal memory and then, boom, all files are gone, even those throwback pictures that you treasure so much. To avoid this kind of scenario you must learn how to back up and make sure that your precious files will not be deleted. You have several options on how to backup your files.
Backup file options:
- 1Dropbox.This is an online storage app, which allows you to upload your files and photos online. To download the Dropbox app, go to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dropbox.android&hl=en2SD card.You can purchase an external micro SD and transfer all your files there.3Transfer to another phone.You can transfer your files to another phone via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi and get them back after clearing internal memory.4Transfer to computer.Download important files onto your personal computer.5Other Online Storage.You can use other websites like MediaFire to back up your important files and photos.6
Clear internal memory in Android using PC
There are ways of clearing the internal memory of an Android device using a PC. It can be process by your own. You can do the process safely and easily. Here are the steps:
- 1Connect your Android device to a PC by using a USB cable.2When it's connected, the two storage folders will pop up in the PC, the external storage and the internal storage.3Go to "My Computer".You can see both storage folders. The one named "Removable Disk" is your internal storage that you will clear.4Now right-click the removable disk.An option will pop up to choose the format option.5After clicking "Format", another option will pop up.With this, you can clear up your internal storage. Check the quick format, then follow by clicking "Start".6Wait for it to process clearing your internal memory.When it is finished, you have cleared the internal memory.7
Delete data in android applications to clear internal memory
Deleting data in android applications gives you more space in your internal memory storage. This can give you a chance to download more applications when you have enough space in your internal memory. Here is the following procedure how you can delete data spaces in android devices:
- 12345Now, Choose one applications to be clearing up it's data.Click the circled one Clear Data6An option will pop up.Choose Okay to proceed in deletion.78If this wiki helped you... Give our volunteer authors a
You can repeat this steps back to one for the another applications that you may want to delete data.
How to transfer phone memory to internal storage
Phone memory is the system storage where the operating system and the system applications are installed. You cannot transfer the data saved in the phone memory to the internal memory of your device. Because phone memory is your built in Read Only Memory This ROM is cannot be editable. All the system data is saved in this memory that cannot be edited and cannot be moved by any other storage. This is where the system applications process.
Internal storage or the internal memory is your built it memory that is direct from your device. It's the memory saved right to your device that allows you to run applications and to open some document files. It can save also the data filled amounts of the applications. To prevent internal storage problems, always run regular maintenance for your internal memory:
- 123If an application is not one you need often, its better to uninstall it to have more space in your internal memory4
Questions and Answers
Is there any system files in internal storage?
is there any system files in internal storage? There is a folder in internal storage named as "Android". isnt it a system folder?
Yes, in the internal memory of the device there are stored files in the memory. This happens because the device at times do not come with SD cards for extra space so all of the system files are located in your internal memory.
The system files will most likely be in the root directory of the internal storage. The Android folder you`re seeing is on the internal storage /sdcard/android and holds game data. The system files will be visible for you but without root access to your phone, you will not be able to delete or modify them.
How can i free up internal storage on my phone without having to root it?
I have access to a computer, but time is an issue.
You will not need your computer in order to free up storage in your device in terms of internal storage:
1. Visit settings 2. Go to applications 3. Go to Internal Memory 4. From here you will be able to delete certain things from your device.
One way you can free up internal storage is by using the following steps:
1. Go to settings
2. Go to Application manager
3. In here swipe the tabs to be taken to device memory and not SD card memory
4. From here simply tap on certain applications in order to remove them from the device in order to free up space on your internal memory or device memory.
Low on space all the time, unable to receive text messages?
Low on space all the time, unable to receive text messages
Howikis QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
How do I Move files from internal memory to SD card on my Lg Mach?
I am trying to move files from my internal memory to my SD card.
You can easily do this by installing a file manager app from the Play Store. Something like Es File Explorer should work. You can find the app in the play store here:
After installation, open the app and long press on a file to choose copy or cut. Next, navigate to the external sd by tapping on the Up Level tab, seen here:
Select the external sd card storage/folder and then paste the file.
Hi sir, my system data in my android phones taking up all the internal storage, so my internal storage is always full. when my application is only slightly. can you give the solution sir?
My internal storage memory is small. And my apps are only takes 500 MB. But the system data taking up all my internal storage. so, my internal storage is full. i dont know how to delete the system data. please help me
Howikis QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
How to move apps to sd card which do not have a option in settings to be moved?
My internal memory is full and I am not able to install new apps even if its in KB. But any of my apps are not showing the option of move to sd card. What to do.?
If your phone`s settings do not allow the move to sd option, you will need to rely on third party software. First, uninstall some apps and/or games to free up enough space to add Apps 2 SD from the Play Store. You can find the app here:
Once you have freed up enough internal storage, you can go ahead and re-install the apps and games you`ve uninstalled before and move them to external sd as you see fit.
I do not see the disk icon for the phone memory on my computer, I only see the CD rom.
Possible that you did not select the option on your mobile phone. Remember that whenever you are going to connect the phone to a computer, you should be able to see an option on your mobile phone screen as "Storage Mass". This storage mass will let your phone readable by your computer as a Removable drive to where you can copy, delete and even format. The CD rom that you are seeing there is the CD/DVD tray where you place to install software and play movies. If the you are not able to see an option on your phone or not able to detect by the computer, here are the things that you need to try and consider why:
1. Try to plug the phone to another USB port on your computer, if you have multiple USB ports on your computer then try it. Simply unplug and re-plug the device and wait for a couple of seconds and an option on your phone should appear on screen to have it as a selection and be able to clear your phone's internal storage.
2. Disable Firewall and your computer's Anti-virus, There are some instances that your Firewall and the Anti-Virus will not detect your external device once it has been plugged in to your computer. Tendency that they will detect the device as a threat for your computer to they ignore the device that it why it is not being detected and what you can do is by simply disabling it and not to uninstall.
3. Remove the SD card from the phone. You can remove the SD card from your phone to insert it to the computer using an SD card reader or if your laptop or PC has a built in SD card slot, you can simply insert the SD card directly to it and do a format to free up the space on the device.
You may need to consider also if your computer was provided by your work company. Normally, they have their own software for the computer to be protected with its content and information. If you also have another computer or a family member or friends, you can ask a favor to do it on their computer instead for you to clear space on your SD for your phone. The reason why you need to ask a favor is for you to know if the problem exist on the computer or on the phone.
Recent edits by: Maria, Ephraim, Eng
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 12,501 times.