How to Disable Talk Back Mode in Samsung Galaxy S3
Edited by Howik Admin, Inukshuk, JMA, Eng and 6 others
On the Samsung Galaxy S3, there's a feature that notifies the user, through voice, when there's an incoming call or text messages, called TalkBack mode. This feature is included as a tool for people who have impaired vision. While it is possible to disable the feature, the phone may continue to talk. In this case, the problem may be that you have left driving mode on. . This wiki will address both of these issues and even give you a fail-safe option of turning TTS (Text-to-Speech) off entirely.
Modes that cause your phone to talk to you: Talkback mode vs Driving Mode vs Text to Speech
You may be experiencing your Samsung device talking to you if any of the following modes are turned on. Many people are confused about why their device is talking to them. The first thing to do is to figure out which of these talking modes is turned on.
- 1Talkback Mode:If your phone is reading out pretty much everything that its doing including menu items to you then you are in talkback mode.2Driving Mode:If your phone is only announcing incoming phone calls and messages it is in driving mode.3TTS (Text To Speech) Engine:If your phone is still talking to you it is possible to disable the text to speech engine but it is not advisable since all applications that use the engine to talk to you will also be silenced. Disable TTS as a fail-safe last resort.4
Disabling TalkBack mode for Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Note 2 and Note 3
The Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Note 2 and Note 3 all use the same method to disable TalkBack mode. More than likely, you were experimenting with your shiny new Samsung phone and you turned on TalkBack mode to experiment with it, only to find out that you are now being notified by voice when you get a call or text message. TalkBack mode actually changes the way you interact with your phone. In TalkBack mode, swipes or scrolling now requires two fingers. Selecting a menu item is done by selecting it with a single tap, then double tapping it to actually chose that menu item. These detailed instructions will take you through a step by step process of disabling TalkBack mode. It only takes a few seconds.
To Disable TalkBack mode
- 1Go to the home screen of your Samsung Galaxy S3 S4 or Note2.2Now, go to settings, menu option.There is an invisible button to the left of your home button. Press that button, and select Settings. While in TalkBack mode you will have to double tap to select menu items. So double tap settings.3Now select accessibility.4In accessibility you can now disable TalkBack mode.5
How to turn off driving mode and stop the voice that reads out incoming calls and messages
- 1Tap Settings (Sprocket Icon)2Choose "Language and Input"3Click on "Text to Speech Output"4At the bottom you will see a switch called "Driving Mode" you can turn off.5If this wiki helped you... Give our volunteer authors a
Note: Alternatively you can double tap your home button and after the beep, say "Turn off Driving Mode".
To Disable Google TTS (Text to Speech)
If your phone is still talking to you one way to eliminate the problem is to disable the Text To Speech engine. This would be like surgically removing the vocal cords of a person. While it is not a recommended solution, it will work.
- 1Go to the home screen of your Samsung Galaxy S3, S4 or Note2.2Now, go to "Settings".3Select "Application Manager".4Click on "Running Tab/Menu".At the top of your screen, you will see a thin blue menu bar that says "Downloaded" or "Running". Click on "Running".5Select "All".Once you have pressed the "Running" tab another column will show up titled "All". Select "All" by Tapping on it.6Disable "Google Text to Speech Engine" and "Samsung TTS".You likely are running Google's text to speech engine, but you may be using Samsung's (vlingo) text to speech feature. So, disable both to be sure.7
Access settings on galaxy s3 while in talkback mode
In these instructions I will assume you cannot see very well and will include as much detail as possible.
- 1Press the Home button (The button at the bottom in the middle under your display screen)2Use two fingers to swipe right to unlock the screen.3Press to the left of the home key.There is no button here, it is just a place on the screen that you can touch. It will say "Showing 6 items"4Now select the first item from the bottom that is above this area.A single click will pull up "Settings". You have to then double click to select settings.5Now you can press any item and it will read each option to you.You have to use two fingers to scroll to get more menu options since not all options fit on the screen. Then double tap to select an option.6Each setting will be announced to you verbally when you touch it.To adjust a slider (like for volume) you have to double tap, then slide.7
Stuck in TalkBack mode and can't unlock my phone because I can't enter my password or pattern! How do I fix it?
TalkBack mode changes the way that you interact with your device, invalidating the regular swipes and taps you usually would use. If you had previously set a lock Password, Pattern or Slide Lock then the method for unlocking is slightly different than the standard instructions posted above in this wiki.
Always remember that while in TalkBack mode single tap functions will now be double tap and swipe functions will be two fingered instead of one. Additionally some single tap functions are now long press while in TalkBack mode. These differences are especially important when it comes to unlocking your phone.
- 1Unlocking from Password.Long press and then double tap in the password field to pull up the keyboard. Enter your password with long presses. Double tap 'Done' and your phone is now unlocked.2Unlocking from Pattern.Use two fingers to swipe your regular pattern. Your phone is now unlocked.3Unlocking from Swipe.Begin by double tapping the lockscreen and then using two fingers to swipe. Your phone is now unlocked.4Now proceed to the instructions earlier in this wiki on how to disable talkback mode.5
How to access talk back mode settings
I will assume you are not yet in talk back mode. If you are already in talk back mode remember you have to use two fingers to scroll, a single tap announces the menu item, and a double tap selects the menu item.
- 1Press the home key, and swipe to unlock if needed.2Select Settings.If you don't see it you can access settings by swiping down from the top of your screen and a drop down menu appears with a sprocket icon in the very top right. Select that sprocket as it is the setting icon.3Scroll down to the Accessibility menu item and select it.4Click on Talk Back mode.5Down at the bottom of the screen there is a large "Settings" button.6Select the Settings button.From this menu you can adjust all the talkback settings like speech volume and keyboard settings, feedback options and touch exploration options.7
Frequently Asked Questions
Problem with voice sometimes replying on voice searches even with driving mode turned off
- 1Go to Settings -> Language and Input -> Voice search -> Speech output.2The options are:
3The default is Informative only.Change to Hands-free only.4If this wiki helped you... Give our volunteer authors a
- Informative only
- Hands-free only
How to get past the home screen in TalkBack mode on the S3 or Note II
Often people are getting stuck on the home screen after enabling TalkBack mode (presumably to try it out). They don't realize that, in TalkBack mode you must use two fingers instead of one when swiping, and you must double tap instead of single tap. In this mode, you may think the device has locked up. So, use two fingers when you would normally use one, and double tap instead of single tap, and follow the instructions listed above. If you still have problems, let me know in the comments section below.
I can't scroll down to turn off the Talk Back mode while following these instructions
This happens to many people using their Galaxy S3. Samsung engineers should take note and correct this dilemma so that Galaxy users can scroll and select in the standard "one finger scroll" and "one tap" method to navigate. Once again, if you are unable to scroll down to turn off the TalkBack mode, you must use two fingers, which you may have to spread apart a little for scrolling. Remember, as mentioned above, you have to double tap rather than single tap to select on the menu.
How do you scroll back when TalkBack is enabled on the Galaxy S3
As mentioned above, normal finger gestures are disabled. If you want to scroll, you need to do it using two fingers instead of the normal one finger scroll gesture.
How to turn off the TalkBack while an incoming call is in progress on Samsung S3 or Note II
TalkBack mode can be turned off using the above instructions, but you must press the home button first to put your current call in the background. Then follow the instructions in this wiki to disable talkback or diving mode. When you are finished, you can swipe down to bring up the notifications screen, and there you will find options to return to your current call.
How to use swipe on a Samsung Galaxy Note when a voice is talking
The voice that you are referring to is the TalkBack voice service, enabled through TalkBack mode. Since you are on TalkBack mode (as evident by the talking voice), you cannot use gestures normally, like you do it on normal mode. On TalkBack mode, you use two fingers instead of one finger so swipe. Using two fingers, you should be able to swipe successfully. All other gestures, like tapping and dragging, are done with two fingers. When you try to swipe on your Samsung Galaxy Note or Galaxy SIII when you are in TalkBack mode, you have to make sure your two fingers are not so close together. This means that they should be apart in order for the swiping to be successful. Swipe using two fingers then double tap on the application you want to select. When your fingers are close together, the swiping may not be successful so remember, fingers apart to swipe and double tap to select.
How to get past the login screen if you have a password while in TalkBack mode
If you are unable to enter the password because of enabled TalkBack mode, you should press and hold the password field and then double tap it. Your keyboard will appear. Now long press the characters of your password (alphabets, numbers etc.) and then long press/ double tap the "Done" button. Congratulations! Your phone is unlocked. Now you can follow the above mentioned steps to deactivate TalkBack mode.
Galaxy S3 Talks When I Get a Call
Some people think that when the phone announces incoming calls and texts it is in TalkBack mode, but it's not. If this is your problem, it means you have somehow turned on driving mode. You will need to disable "Drive mode".
- 1On your home screen tap on "Applications".2Tap on "Settings".3Tap on "Language and input".4Tap on "Text-to-speech output".Check if driving mode is enabled.5Disable "Driving Mode".6If this wiki helped you... Give our volunteer authors a
How to turn off voice announcements in Samsung Galaxy S3
The voice announcements may turn out to be very irritating to you. They come in when the TalkBack is turned on and turning off the TalkBack will definitely be able to turn off all the voice announcements that are irritating you when you don't actually want to hear anything of the sort. Follow these steps to turn it off:
- 1Tap the home screen menu of your device.2Select "Settings".3Select "Application Manager".4Go to TalkBack mode.5Use your two fingers to swipe and also double tap to disable.6Double press "Done" from the menu of the device.7You will be able to disable all the voice announcements, as well as any TalkBack from your device.8If this wiki helped you... Give our volunteer authors a
How to turn off visually impaired mode on Samsung Galaxy S3
If you want to turn off the "S" voice for the visually impaired, you first need to know that it may be talking to you for one of two reasons: Driving Mode is on, or TalkBack, intended for the visually impaired, is enabled.
First,check if Driving Mode is on:
- 1On your menu at the top of the screen, you will see a steering wheel icon above the words "Driving Mode"2If it is highlighted in bright green, it is on.3Tap it in order to turn it off.4If this wiki helped you... Give our volunteer authors a
Check If it is TalkBack enabled
- Remember that all navigating requires "two-finger scrolling and double tapping menu items".
- 1Go to "Messaging".2Tap "Menu".3Tap "Settings".4Now, in Settings, near the bottom of your screen, you will see a hand icon and "Accessibility".5If your TalkBack is showing enabled, double-tap Accessibility > TalkBack > Off.6If this wiki helped you... Give our volunteer authors a
Now you have your golden silence once again.
For your convenience we have recorded these instructions in a video. You can watch this video to help clarify the instructions in this Wiki. Please keep in mind that the Wiki is always being updated, so the Wiki instructions may be more up to date than the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj8AKxsY8Zo - How to Escape from Talkback Mode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5L-3Sowc30 - How to Enable and Disable Talkback Mode
WHEN I TRY UNLOCKING MY GALAXY 3 IT DOESNT LET ME PRESS THE OK BUTTON SO THAT IT CAN ACCEPT THE PIN NUMBER I ENTERED TO UNLOCK IT. What can I do?
If your phone is ccurrently on talkback mode, you need to double tap each time that you are making a select. If you are unlocking your mobile phone by putting in pin numbers, you need to tap twice to a certain number. Example: If your unlock code or pin is 1234 then you need to double tap 1, double tap 2, double tap 3 and double tap 4 the once you see the OK button simply double tap it as well for you to unlock the phone home screen and be able to log back in. Again, double tap the item that you are selecting on your phone screen.
I am following it, waiting for the talkback to complete what it has to say, yet i am not able to unlock my cell. it keeps reading out the time, date displayed on lock screen. What should I do?
If the phone keeps on reading what you have on screen, you need to wait for it to stop reading what you have on screen. To avoid your phone screen getting sleep, you can press the home button on the phone to let it stay awake. Once the phone stops reading the time and other stuff, use your two fingers to swipe and get the phone lock screen where you can input the lock code or if it does not have just use your two fingers and it will be unlock.
The talk still able on even off the phone. It keeps on talking back
If the phone keeps on talking back, make sure that you did not check any services in your accessibility. You can go back to accessibility then scroll down and look for the ones that has a checked marked for you to un-check it. If you check applications and any other then that certain app would have a talk back feature. If in case that there are no checked on those that are in the services, you can simply restart the phone but it is best that you shut the phone down or take the battery out and wait at least 20 seconds then put the battery back to refresh the phone system as it may have bug or confusion with the system instructions.
I tried to go to accessibility but it really never will work
Make sure that you double tap each action that you are making upon going to the accessibility. Also, use two fingers upon swiping your phone screen or scrolling down. You may refer the steps below on how you can properly do the disable talk back:
1. Use two fingers to swipe your home screen going left or right. Make sure that you place your two fingers at the same time and not one at a time as the phone would read it as double tap.
2. Once the phone screen is open, double tap the Settings on screen and use the two fingers to scroll up and look for the accessibility.
3. Once you found the accessibility, double tap it then double tap the disable talktaback. Once it has been disabled, your phone should be back to normal and no more double tap.
- These instructions also work for Samsung Galaxy Note II, which is essentially the same as the S3 but with a larger screen.
- The settings menu may not be available from your home screen as specified above, if you have configured your home screen and moved or, removed this icon. In this situation, you can still access it by swiping down, and selecting the "Settings" sprocket icon that appears in the drop-down menu, in the upper right, or you can access it by hitting the invisible "Settings" button just to the left of your home button. Many people don't know that there is even a settings button there.
- If you need to access the settings for talk back mode while talk back mode is already enabled, you can follow the same directions, just use two fingers to swipe or scroll, touch once to find a menu item, and tap twice to select.
- Having a Password set while in TalkBack mode can mean an especially cumbersome and unintuitive method for unlocking your phone. It is recommended to disable your password before using TalkBack mode and instead setting a Swipe or Pattern to unlock the phone.
Questions and Answers
Why does hands free mode on galaxy note 3 continue to come on?
You can turn off hands-free mode by following the procedures below:
- Go to your Home screen by tapping on the Home button once.
- Pull down the notification bar by swiping your finger from the top of the screen and dragging it to the lower part of your phone's screen.
- Tap on the Settings icon on the upper-right part of the device's screen. The Settings has a gear icon on it.
- From Settings, tap on the My Device Tab and go to Input and control.
- Under input and control, tap on Language and input.
- On Language and Input, go down to Speech and tap on Voice Search.
- On Voice Search settings, tap on Speech output.
- From Speech output, tap on Off.
- You have successfully turned off Hands-free mode on your device.
It comes on periodically depending on how you have your device set up if you want to cut off hands free mode fully then you will need to perform the following steps:
go to settings
go to my device tab
swipe hands free mode off and ensure that it is fully off along with your talkback mode and other accessibility options
See more questions like this: Hands Free mode - Samsung galaxy S4
Why does talk back always turn back on for the Galaxy S3?
You may have not turned it off completely. Read through steps again and make sure that you have actually disabled Talk Back. After disabling reboot your phone and you should be good to go.
Also when trying to turn off the feature understand that you will need to double tap on the feature in order to turn the device off successfully.
This issue has happened to many people, this is because people are not fully cutting of the talkback feature. You will need to ensure that you are double tapping on the option to cut it of for without double tapping you are not fully cutting off the feature.
See more questions like this: How do I turn off talk back mode on my galaxy tab 3
How to scroll? I am in setting and cant scroll up nor down to get to accessibility. How do I get out of it and turn it off? It won't allow me to do anything. Help?
use two fingers instead
Basic rule when in Driving Mode: Normal gestures must be done with two fingers and tapping requires a double tap.
- If you want to scroll down, simply scroll down normally but instead of using one fingers, . This applies to other gestures. Want to swipe left? Do it with two fingers. Want to swipe right? Swipe right using your two fingers.
I am unable to unlock my s3 phone as talkback option is in active mode?
If you are using Swipe or Pattern lock to unlock your device, you need to perform it using two fingers instead of one. Driving mode requires gestures to be done in two fingers so that actions and commands are recognized and executed.
You can unlock your device by double tapping on the screen to activate the ability to enter your password, pin or pattern unlock code. Also once you have opened your device you will need to double tap on every selection in order to make the selection go through successfully to de activate talkback in the settings menu.
See more questions like this: How do i unlock my phone with talkback enabled
I have Samsung Galaxy core. i want to disable Talkback mode but unable to reach the option from where it was turned in?
You will not be able to go anywhere unless you use two fingers that are slightly apart to scroll within a page or swipe through pages. You also need to double-tap to open an application, option or menu. For Galaxy Core, follow these procedures of disabling Talkback:
- Go to your Home Menu by pressing on the Home button once.
- Pull down the notification bar using two fingers.
- Double-tap on the Settings icon to get to Settings.
- Double-tap on "My Device" tab.
- Scroll down to "Accessibility" using your two fingers.
- Double tap on "Accessibility.
- Double tap on Talkback option.
- Double tap on the switch to turn it off.
- Double tap on "OK".
- Talkback is now disabled on your Samsung Galaxy Core.
The option where you turned on this option is located in the settings>>>>accessibility>>>>scroll down the screen in order to reach the talkback tab
Click on this tab in order to be taken to another screen where you can disable this option from your device
See more questions like this: I cannot turn off Talkback in Samsung galaxy note 3
Can you help me to disable talk back?
I was playing around in settings and enable Talk Back ,but now I want to disable it but having problems
You should take note that these are the gestures that should be used when in Talk Back:
- Scroll through a page - use two fingers to touch the screen and swipe up or down.
- Flip through pages - use two fingers to touch the screen and swipe left or right.
- Open an application, menu or option - double tap to give the command.
You can check on the whole article to know the procedures in turning off Talkback.
In order to disable talk back you will need to perform the following steps:
1. go to settings
2. go to accessibility
3. double tap on talkback to slide the option off
While in talkback mode you will need to perform double taps in order to make a selection.
See more questions like this: How to disable talk back in my s3
Can I stop this without turning off TTS altogether?
It started out of the blue yesterday and I don't know why. I checked out the updates that I installed yesterday since it started after that, but none of them were for Handcent, the text app that I use. Everyone is mentioning Driving Mode, but when I checked, it's off
If you have already turned your Driving Mode off and you still hear a voice feedback, then you may not have turned off Talkback. Turn off Talkback by going to Home > tap on Menu Key (lower-left soft key) > Tap on Settings >My Device > Accessibility > TalkBack under Services > tap the witch button to turn it OFF.
This is instructed in this article particularly in THIS SECTION
If you are having an issue with your device talking its options or selections you may need to visit the Talkback feature on your device. Simply visit your settings>>accessibility>>tap on talkback to turn the talking off on your device.
How do u scroll down with your touch disabled in talkback mode?
I was checking out the vision impaired setting but my fonts is too large so i need to stroll down so i can disable it but as u know the touch is off so im trying to figure out how to stroll down to disable it
Actually, touch is not disabled when in TalkBack mode; normal gestures that are used in normal mode are not recognized in TalkBack mode for feature requirements. To perform a tapping gesture on TalkBack, do it with a double tap instead. If you want to scroll do not use one finger, instead, use two fingers to scroll. Check on Question#5 as it has the listing of the gestures that are recognized during TalkBack.
In order for you to be able to scroll down the menu you will need to double tap on the screen in order for you to be able to scroll down the screen or window. While talkback is on understand that all of your selections need to be started with a double tap in order to make selections or scroll.
See more questions like this: How do I d I disable talkback mode
I've deactivated my drive mode n d TTs yet i stl get that annoying caller id....pls want cn i do?
Please how do i stop this annoying caller Id?
If you have deactivated the drive mode then you will be able to stop your device from speaking to you on your device. Along with deactivating the drive mode you will need to also disable the talk back mode so that your device will in fact will stop speaking to you repeatedly.
In order to fully stop all of the Talk Back and TTS options follow these steps
1. From home screen go to Apps
2. Select Settings
3. Scroll down to Accessibility then select Talk Back
4. Move the slider to off position and select ok
Now sometimes there is still some talk back even after disabling this option. Follow the steps below to ensure all of the Speech options are turned off completely
1. Go to Settings
2. Select application Manager
3. Select Running Tab
4. Select All Tab
5. Now disable the Google Text to Speech Engine and disable Samsung TTS
This should fully remove all of the talking features of the phone
How to unlock screen in talk back mode?
I've activated talk back feature in galaxy core...now iam got stuck to unlock scree...iam able to listen a command saying double tap and swipe the screen
In order to open your device you will need to double tap on the screen in order to swipe the screen so that you can swipe one time and unlock your device successful. In order to perform actions on your device you will need to double tap on the screen.
Yes, you will need to quickly double tap on the screen in order to open up the option for you to swipe to unlock he screen.
See more questions like this: We have a Samsung tablet. talkback was enabled and now we can't unlock the screen
How do I get the talk back on my tab3?
How do I get my talkback on my tab3
You will need to visit the settings menu on your device, select the settings tab and then from there you can select the accessibility tab so that you can select talkback mode on your device.
You can access this feature by performing the following steps:
1. Go to settings
2. Go to accessibility
3. Tap on the talkback feature
This will help you to turn the talkback feature on your device
See more questions like this: I want to disable the talk back on my phone but i cant find my application features
I was exploring and turn on talkback and cannot turn it off. I am unable to skroll?
I am stuck in talk back and I am unable to use my phone the biggest problem is scrolling. please help me turn off talkback. I have turn on and off phone already. Mary
Follow the below instructions so that you can disable talkback on your device: 1. Double tap on all selection below 2. Tap on settings 3. Tap on accessibility 4. Tap on talkback 5. Tap on the on/off switch in order to turn the feature off
See more questions like this: How can i turn off talkback mode
Why my samsung galaxy 3's incoming number with "+" and cannot be called back?
Why my samsung galaxy 3's incoming number with "+" and cannot be called back?
Did you know that once the talk back has been enabled on your phone it enables double tap.
In order for you to scroll on your device after you have entered talkback mode you will need to double tap on the screen before you are able to move it on the device.
If you have an incoming number calling you with an + sign you will be able to go back and enter the number without the + sign so that you can dial out perfectly. The + sign appears at times when you have copied the number from somewhere else to call out and can in fact cause an error in calling depending on the number.
The plus sign often signifies that you are calling a number internationally, this can disrupt the call from your device depending where you are calling from. It will be very easy if you were to take away the + sign before you dial out the number.
I cnt do nothing on my phone only talking?
Please help me to disable the talk back on my ohone
Disabling the Talk Back Mode of your device is very simple, please kindly follow these procedures on how to disable it.
1. Go to Settings of your device
2. Then choose Accessibility
3. In the Accessibility Options/ Settings you can find the Talk back mode as checked, simply tap it to disable this mode in your phone.
See more questions like this: Some help with my digicel alcatel phone
Can't turn google text to speech off, when disabled it just turns itself back on, every time i touch the screen when reading emails, the samsung tss has been disabled and has now dissapeared. using S3 mini GT-18190 4.1.1?
S3 mini google tss on all the time
This option will only turn on if you tap on the microphone in order to speak to your device. If you were to simply not tap on the microphone you will not have to use the text to speech option on the device.
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 85,530 times.